Hidden pages visible on the homepage

Hidden pages visible on the homepage

by Florian LH -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I created several pages as resources through the home page. I don't want the title of these pages to be displayed on the homepage as they are general information pages already accessible through other links.

I created around 15 pages and now I have the list of 15 icons and page title that extend my homepage which is not great. Even if it is labelled "hidden from students", students can see them once they are logged. You can see it here :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HXlot64KTOZSyR6bK2RleFf03QvYwTrw/view?usp=sharing

What can I do ?

I use the Academy theme and Moodle version 3.5.2

Thank you,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Florian LH

Re: Hidden pages visible on the homepage

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Florian
You say:
"Even if it is labelled "hidden from students", students can see them once they are logged."
Are you 100% sure they see it?
As an administrator you will always see them of course.

Anyway, the solution I use, is to put these types of pages into the Main Menu Block, and then hide it.
The pages are still accessible via their URL.
So, if I want to verify the link I might just unhide the Block quickly, open the resource and copy the URL, hide the Block again, and then use the URL where I want it.
This works well - aside from the rather manual process of unhiding the Block to get the link (although you could just make a list of the URL's in a note somewhere as they won't change).
smile
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I do the same as Stuart with the Main Menu block - but rather than hiding it, it’s much less hassle to change the permissions of  the block to prohibit any role from viewing it (admins will always see it).

Make sure you look at the Front Page FAQ too - you may need to change the front page permissions to allow interaction with the content, and you’ll probably want to stop the pages appearing in the navigation block - both of those issues are addressed in that FAQ.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
ps. “Hidden from students” will actually prohibit the students from seeing the content - it’s not just “hiding” the page from view. Hidden means “not published/not available to students”.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Florian LH -

Hello Jon and Stuart,

Thanks a lot for your help that will solve my issue 🙂

I wish you both a great day !

Florian