Moodle (3.6) Assignment with TurnItIn and Rework assignments

Moodle (3.6) Assignment with TurnItIn and Rework assignments

by John Andre -
Number of replies: 1
Background: A Moodle Assignment was created and TurnItIn was connected and setup. Everything worked fine.

Several students had a problem with plagiarism (as expected).

I now want to allow those students who failed for plagiarism reasons to be able to remove their plagiarism and resubmit. I want that resubmission to be checked by TurnItIn. However, I do not want to count their initial submission when checking plagiarism (text in their resubmission should not be counted as similar just because it matches the first submission).

With a TurnItInAssignment2, I would simply add another "part" and all would be fine. I see no way to do this with a Moodle Assignment.

Any ideas how I can solve this problem?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Andre

Re: Moodle (3.6) Assignment with TurnItIn and Rework assignments

by Ray Hinton -
We use the Plagiarism plugin exclusively for assignments, and indeed experience this. Interesting to know that there is a way to deal with it in the Turnitin Assignment 2 module. I had just assumed it was an intractable problem, and dealt with it in slightly more tedious ways.

Have you contacted Turnitin support? Since they apparently account for this scenario in their other products, I assume they would be familiar with accommodating it (or not) in the Plagiarism plugin.

I got curious myself, since this could save me and my teachers a lot of time, so I started looking through the Turnitin documentation. Unfortunately, this page about Similarity scoring scenarios (Example 2) seems to suggest that the manual method that we use is the only option. That is, there is not a way with the Plagiarism plugin to make Turnitin ignore work directly through Moodle. You can always toggle and exclude sources when you are looking at the Similarity Report (which is what we do). However, that does not do anything to change the initial Similarity score that you see in Moodle, so you basically need to evaluate each one individually.

All that said, we try to be careful when we are assessing potential plagiarism. Of course, it is a pain if your workflow basically requires that students are always submitting two versions of the same thing. I guess we've just come to the conclusion that it is worth an extra minute or two of checking before starting a more serious conversation with a student about potential plagiarism.

I will be curious to hear if you learn about any different options for fixing this!