Basic Questions of Moodle Today

Basic Questions of Moodle Today

by John Pin -
Number of replies: 5

Wanting to choose an LMS for music courses.  Please may I ask the following questions that were stumbling blocks for me when attempting to use Moodle in 2013-2014!

In Moodle;
1.  Are you able to create a course where by a student can self enrol, pay and start the course immediately?
2. Can the course mentioned above be built in weekly lessons revealed each week, or perhaps in groups of 4.  (student self enrols and is given access to week 1, then after 7 days week 2.  I recall when building weekly modules you had to stipulate dates for lessons to reveal.  If a student self enrols and starts immediately this was an issue.  Possible now?  Is there flexibility in this regard?
3.  There was a video size or media size limitation of 7meg?  Is this now bigger, or is there a workaround ?

4. Is there any issue with embedding  mp4 video in courses in terms of video screen size.  ie 1024 x 576 pixels. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond..if you did .
I appreciate you knowledge.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Pin

Re: Basic Questions of Moodle Today

by Brendon Hatcher -
Hi

1. Are you able to create a course where by a student can self enrol, pay and start the course immediately?
Moodle doesn't have a built in payment process other than a basic paypal integration (see https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/PayPal_enrolment)
You'll probably have to integrate Moodle with a compatible online store.

2. Can the course mentioned above be built in weekly lessons revealed each week

3. There was a video size or media size limitation of 7meg? Is this now bigger, or is there a workaround ?
I am fairly sure that this is a server environment limitation, rather than a moodle limitation.
The company hosting the moodle will be able to confirm/set this.

4. Is there any issue with embedding mp4 video in courses in terms of video screen size. ie 1024 x 576 pixels.
Nowadays all content is responsive (mobile-friendly), so the videos should just resize.

Regards
Brendon 
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Brendon Hatcher

by John Pin -
HI Brendan, thanks for the reply. Payment methods i can sort out easily enough but thank you for that link.
Course relative dates I believe is the function i interested in however the link and info in the docs doesn't really tell me much.
Am i to understand that a student can self enroll and start a course immediately. And all dates set for weekly content display (adaptive release in Blackboard) will automatically be adjusted to start on the enrollment date? It says this is experimental. I wonder then, is it robust?
Effectively i am wanting achieve the kind of functionality found in Coursera.
In reply to John Pin

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
The 3.8 documentation link for relative dates is brief, but it clearly states that it is not available for all activities. It is being introduced as experimental to gather feedback. How robust it is can only be determined once we experiment with some courses. Hopefully, they will include other activities, such as the Topics format as this functionality will be a game changer for me.
https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Course_relative_dates
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to John Pin

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you have Activity_completion enabled then you can use activity restrictions based upon the completion of other activities... Restrict_access_settings#Restricting_activity_access You can also allow certain activities to only become available at a certain time / date... You should be able to get this to do what you want if you think a little creatively! big grin