Looking for advice to setup a MOOC-like platform using Moodle

Looking for advice to setup a MOOC-like platform using Moodle

by itzel mcclaren -
Number of replies: 6

Hello team, I've had a project in mind for the last 3 years and this is the year I want to implement it. I'd like to setup a MOOc-like elearn platform that will enable instructors to setup,sell their courses and/or provide web-coaching. I setup a WordPress LMS, which visually I liked, but accessible-wise it is not good. Also, there is a lot to manage and I am a 1 person organization with a low budget. I believe the using Moodle will achieve my goals.

So, i have the following questions:

1 )Considering that I am one person organization, should I go with a Moodle cloud option or install a private instance on Amazon cloud or similar platform? If yes, which one? I want flexibility to customize the site to look more visually appealing (something like EDEx, Linkedin learning or Coursera). All ideas are welcome.

2) I need options for teachers to integrate low cost webinar tools. Integration with whatsapp.

3) Tool needs to be mobile-friendly since we are targeting an audience that is primarily mobile. Should be friendly for bilingual audiences.

4) To be able to make content accessible-which I know Moodle is good compared with other tools.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to itzel mcclaren

Re: Looking for advice to setup a MOOC-like platform using Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello
I can't help with number 1 but hopefully someone more technical will reply.With MoodleCloud you can have up to 500 users and you get video conferencing  included, and some options for customisation.
 We at Moodle HQ have been running a MOOC on Moodle for a number of years now - the next one begins on 13th January on learn.moodle.org so I would say that
2) Big Blue Button is a good option
3) Moodle has a great mobile app and Moodle and is translated into many languages
4) It is possible to make content accessible as you realise -the Atto editor provides a checking tool for this but of course the key is that the teachers/facilitators make the content accessible in the first place.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mohammad Nabil -
Big Blue Button is great , but low cost? !
In reply to Mohammad Nabil

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'Big Blue Button is great , but low cost? !'
It is available under a free software license
https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/support/faq.html#what-is-the-open-source-license-used-in-bigbluebutton
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Mohammad Nabil -
yes it is free but need a good server that cost at least 400-600 $ / y
zomm as example cost about 150 $ / year for plan that do the job
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to itzel mcclaren

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
1) I'd like to setup a MOOc-like elearn platform that will enable instructors to setup,sell their courses and/or provide web-coaching. I don't think the default Moodle can do this. I assume that the instructors should be able to work isolated from one another. That calls for some sort of a multi-tenancy, which core Moodle is not. For discussions on this topic run https://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5&words=multi-tenancy+multi-tenant.

Also see the discussion Running ONE Moodle site across 100s of schools - Why so hard??.

2) Integration with whatsapp. Also not available. Perhaps is coming. See Whatsapp as Moodle messaging.