Post new forum topic by email?

Re: Post new forum topic by email?

by Paul King -
Number of replies: 0
Thanks Andrew - that sounds like it might be a 'nail in the coffin' for Moodle from my use case perspective.
I have only one forum and thus one email address that I would want this functionality for, which mostly addresses any confusion or management issues - but I am not a coder and would not know how to create and submit a plugin or patch even for a single forum use case.

Essentially I need a way to duplicate email list functionality such that email only users can participate on a reasonably equal footing alongside logged in web browser users in this one forum - and with something resembling real time speed.

Yahoo Groups did some of this for us, until Yahoo pulled the plug, and a decade's worth of data was essentially lost. No backup method is or was available to Yahoo users that retained integrity of database with threads and attachment relationships.

Lesson learned, and keen not to be held hostage by a third party service again.

Any opensource suggestions that might allow mail list back to back with conventional online forum functionality -  ideally that can run ok on a shared host (for around 600 subscribers, seldom than a few active users on any given day), would be most appreciated...