[Afterburner] Section headings displayed in double

[Afterburner] Section headings displayed in double

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I encounter a Moodle, release 3.1, in which all section headings are displayed in double. The display and its source are attached.

Moodle version 3.1.15
Afterburner 2016080900
PHP 7.0.33
(although I don't know when it started, could have been a Moodle upgrade or PHP upgrade)

What is the solution?

Attachment msls-doubleheadings.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: [Afterburner] Section headings displayed in double

Here's the display:

Attachment msls-doubleheadings0.png

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, it's a Moodle Problem that was coded sometime ago and a pain in the proverbial, if I am not mistaken.

I think there is a fix for it on this forum, but I cannot remember the Tracker number or else you
would be able to see the coding that went into the patch. From memory it was something done prior
to Moodle 3.0 being released about 3 to 4 years ago.

It's nothing to do with the Afterburner theme, but more the way Base theme works.

I'll take a look at my GITHUB and see if I can trace it.

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

MDL-57405

is what you need to do...

MDL-51802

If you need help just let me know...

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Mary, thanks for your continuous attention!

Do I understand correctly?
- The regression in Moodle 3.1 was changes in Base theme due to the introduction of "edit block name in place" (MDL-51802 -> MDL-52994).

- Then in Moodle 3.5 there is a completely new situation since the Base theme is removed (MDL-57405)

To my situation:
- I am running Moodle 3.1 (with double section names as reported in the OP).
- We are planning to upgrade to 3.5 in summer.

Please feel free to decide whether reparing both, specially 3.1, is worth, no pressure from my site.

by Mary Evans -

If you are planning on upgrading to Moodle 3.5 later this year, then you will need to update Base theme that you have in the 3.1 version.

The quickest way, I think, would be is to use CSS in order to remove the unwanted duplicated heading.

Trouble is that I’m not sure what that CSS should be, as I don’t have a Moodle 3.1 site now.

In reply to Mary Evans

This time tried to hide the unwanted heading with the custom CSS: '.hidden { display: none; }'

That indeed blocks the unwanted title. But after that there is no Submit button for the forum posts! Are these things so convoluted? Should I really wait for the major upgrade in Summer?

Reminder: Still Moodle release 3.1, theme Afterburner.
Attachment annual-meeting-inspect.png