After Afterburner: What would be a worthy successor for Moodle 3.5 and above?

After Afterburner: What would be a worthy successor for Moodle 3.5 and above?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hallo theme gurus,

What would you advice for an academic institution which is used to Afterburner? It was their theme of their choice, since Moodle 2.4(?), and are still using it with Moodle 3.1. They plan the upgrade to 3.5 in summer and looking for something similar.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: After Afterburner: What would be a worthy successor for Moodle 3.5 and above?

by Acqua Alta -

I would choose a Boost-based theme, that's for sure. Even if that's not what the institution is used to , and although Adaptable is still the most downloaded theme. Things are going in the Boost direction.

I'm using Fordson ( A Boost-based theme). IMO, It's a wonderful theme and Chris Kenniburg (the developer) is very helpful and responsive.

In reply to Acqua Alta

Re: After Afterburner: What would be a worthy successor for Moodle 3.5 and above?

Hi

Sorry, I don't think, you've understood my question. It is not the open question "What theme should I take for Moodle 3.5 and above", rather "How can I _stay close to Afterburner_ in Moodle 3.5 and above". Thanks any way. I'd welcome other suggestions.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As Afterburner only uses CSS and its a parent of 'Base' which is in the plugins DB -> https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_base -> then you could follow https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_35_STABLE/theme/upgrade.txt and upgrade both so that you can keep the theme.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Hi Gareth

Thanks for the info! I hope you haven't overestimated my theme developer capabilities. Will still have a look. As I mentioned, the target is summer 2020, so plenty of time.

One thing about the theme Base. It is not updated since Moodle 3.3. Isn't that a problem?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Base -> depends on how much has changed and what needs to change to make it work as needed to support Afterburner.

If you get stuck, then you could always advertise on Moodle jobs for assistance.