I really want to like H5P but...

I really want to like H5P but...

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I really love the idea of H5P (new hotness). It is pretty easy to use. It usually looks good (if you build it well). I keep hearing people say it is better than SCORM (old and broke) and these are people who know what they're talking about.

But I keep finding little things that are deal breakers.

I can caption video. That's great! But if I add audio, no captioning.

I can use YouTube video, which already has captioning (possibly bad captioning, but captioning)...but if I use it in interactive video, where I add questions or interaction, the captioning is gone. There's no way to get captions on a YouTube video with interactive video that I can find.

Interactive video is so cool. But if you use a large video (what video isn't?!?), your whole site might suddenly start crashing. Yes, I'm sure.

And reporting. This is a big one.

First. The reports are...not easy to find. Why would I go to the gradebook for activity reports? Well, if I'm using H5P, that's where I go.

If I create an interactive video module, my users have to answer the questions and then manually submit them for it to report to me that they have done anything. If they don't do the submitting thing (and there is no way to know you need to do this), it might not remember they did it. Sometimes it starts where they left off...and sometimes it doesn't. And if the site crashes because the video is big...it always forgets. (to be fair, really large scorm modules can muck things up too, but they remember doing it). I'm not hung up on WHEN they started, just that they did. And that they finish. And that it knows they finish.

If I want completion to be contingent on completing the whole thing...well, there is no tracking. I can just click next indefinitely and not do anything. If I set up branching, there is a button at the top that lets me skip entire sections.

If I want completion to be contingent on a specific score...well,It doesn't do completion on a particular score--only if a score exists...I could fiddle with grade book settings for a grade to pass but I'm not confident it would actually work, because, well scoring is weird. Really weird. I can get grades (or complete/incomplete) from SCORM.

If I find an error and need to change it while it is being used by students, when I make the change, it forces my users to start over. Updating SCORM is easy and doesn't mess up reporting.

If I want to know how people answered questions. Well, I'd better use something else. That's not something H5P does. SCORM does it (badly--but I can get the data!).

I really want to use H5P but I don't think I can. I need these features that SCORM has.

Discuss?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Melanie Scott

Re: I really want to like H5P but...

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Melanie,
I'm not as experienced as you in the use of SCORM, but I have written a lot of storyboards for SCORM-compliant tools such as Storyline and, before that, I had created materials with HotPotatoes and later with H5P for my own courses. I was surprised about how difficult it was to create interactive activities with Storyline or Articulate. We needed the job of an experienced developer and prototype and alpha and beta phases to create something that I could create in less than 30 minutes with other tools and update without problems. From this perspective, I found H5P better than SCORM.
But the tracking is an issue, I admit it. My only solution until now, since I cannot hack or similar, is to use H5P activities as practice and make the exercises so engaging and relevant that learners really want to do these activities. For "important" activities that have an impact on the final grade or that are needed to make a decision, I use Moodle quizzes. I know it's not ideal and that too may workarounds are annoying, but for me, this is much better than SCORM modules I cannot update easily.
I'm interested in people who know both tools well like you. I had endless discussions with developers about creating interactive videos with Storyline, Articulate or ADAPT, and they told me it was possible but difficult and time-consuming. Not to mention that the product with Storyline was not responsive at all. Well, I can create interactive videos with my limited technical skills. How do you rate the freedom and efficiency of creating instructional materials? Would you then ideally use both tools, and opt for one or the other depending on the requirements?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Melanie Scott -
So, I've created SCORM content with Lectora, Camtasia and Captivate. I've seen/manipulated content developed with other products. I've heard some really good things about Articulate (so your complaints are surprising. Back when I first started working with Lectora, if I had seen Articulate first, I probably would have gone that direction instead. But I love Lectora.) I've also used eXe and iSpring. Honestly, I recommend Quiz for testing always. SCORM reports results but cannot give any kind of effective stats on overall participation. Quiz gives stats. LOVE that. I don't test is scorms ever if I can help it (knowledge checks for interactivity, applicability stuff but not actual testing)

My experience with people who complain about authoring software is that they generally haven't learned how to set them up properly or they don't think outside the box or they want something that does the hard stuff for them. It really helps to know what you want before you start. I think building in H5P is generally easy. I want to like it. I want to use it. But it can't do what I need with reporting and some of the 'interactions' are a bit clunky. I tend to build branching type stuff...there are four things you have to do but you can do them in any order you want, and my materials tell you when you've completed one. H5P...not so much...you can branch but it is more story branching than what I do.

That said...I LOVE story branching! I have used it in the past for human resources training and case management training... I wish I could use it for what I do but the thing I need it...well, it's IT training, which makes story telling more complicated and I'll only have a month of development time (plus my regular job duties for supporting tech for all our departments, answering help calls and managing our Moodle) which isn't a lot of time.

Research says a 1 hour on-line module should take about 80 hours of development. I don't think I ever take that long...but you're better off with smaller bites of content--10 to 15 minutes apiece (so, as much as 20 hours of dev)--our attention spans aren't that long and with our tech dependence, they are getting shorter! Tom Kuhlman (Articulate) calls short courses coursels, which I love--he is my hero, so awesome! (Well, and Dan Marsden and Tim Hunt. And Helen and Mary...) Interactivity takes time. You have to know what you want and how it should look/behave. If the student does X, what happens? If they do Y, what happens? It can help if you can create a template and build from there. I once built a course where the student had three case files they had to complete. It was mostly story telling and choose-your-own adventure types stuff with good ending and supervisors telling you you did the wrong thing. It took a ridiculous amount of time to build and was incredibly complicated...but it worked...later I stripped all the actual content out and saved it as a template shared it with a work group I'm a part of...I don't know what happened with it after (but people still talk about it and that was 2 years ago).

Lectora is expensive, but I think worth it. It also allows a lot of granular control--variables, action sequences. In fact, if you want any interactivity, you must use variables and action sequences, which requires some braining and working out what you want and when. Captivate is less expensive (but getting more expensive every year) but gives less control--I could set conditions in lectora where if X was true (like a specific quiz grade or range was acheived) then the course would be marked complete at the end but I can't do that in Captivate--completion reporting is hard coded--you give it a grade for passing an that is it--I sometimes don't want 80%, I want a range because it isn't a quiz, it is an assessment of something (like a personality quiz) and Captivate is balls at that. And branching is hard in Captivate (it's hard anyway, from the brain standpoint, but harder).

So, that was kind of a dis to people who complain about the tech...to be fair, I complain a lot about Captivate--but that is because it takes about 3 times longer to build something in it than Lectora. Knowing how to do something only gets you so far...but creating interactive video is pretty easy with H5P, which is why it was so attractive. It's fairly easy with Camtasia, as well, but there are weird things about reporting there, too (but it reports and reports completion) and sometimes it crashes or does weird stuff.

The short answer is both of SCORM and H5P require skills (with the tech, with design, with knowing what you want). If you just want to share some information and don't care about tracking (like a ppt), it might be easier to use H5P (or upload the ppt). If you want tracking, SCORM works better because, well, it tracks. If you want interactive video and don't care about tracking, H5P is probably nicer to use. If you need to know the person actually did the whole activity, SCORM is better, in spite of being an oldster. And branching, well, if you want tracking and don't care about looking spiff, Lesson is fantastic. If you want tracking and pretty, SCORM. If you just want pretty, well, H5P is okay. But this is a data driven world. We want tracking. If it is just practice, that's fine, go for H5P. But if it isn't practice, I have to still go with SCORM. And that makes me sad.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Melanie Scott -
I re-read my post this morning and realized, I really kind of under valued lesson. Lesson is fantastic. Period. You can, with skill and effort, make it look good. It isn't as easy to make pretty as H5P. You can do it though. The tracking is cool (not quite as nice as quiz, doesn't really track retakes for stats) but a little clunky. But in all ways, Lesson is still terrific. You can't do interactive video with it. But branching! Unbelievably powerful!

None of that has anything to do with the inherent weaknesses of H5P...just didn't want to make it sound like I don't appreciate Lesson. I do. A lot!
Average of ratings: Useful (3)