(ADAPTABLE/moodle 3.3.2)Help create a course without a scorm package

(ADAPTABLE/moodle 3.3.2)Help create a course without a scorm package

by Tashi Norzin Tenzing -
Number of replies: 12

I recently created a course where i added only announcements, discussion forum, chat room and feed back. i didnt need a scorm package as i am using the course only to communicate with my students. But when i opened the course, non of the activities were showing. Do i need to add a scorm package for the rest of the features to appear? 

Can someone please help me? i am really desperate here. Thank you

(Edited by Mary Cooch - to clarify the theme - original submission Monday, 16 December 2019, 11:24 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tashi Norzin Tenzing

Re: Help create a course without a scorm package

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello I am just going to move your post to the General help forum. When you click to create your course, make sure you have the setting either Topics format or Weekly format - and not the Single activity format, which you possibly used for SCORM courses. Also of course you need the editing turned on to add activities and resources.
Please see the documentation Adding a new course

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
So where does SCORM actually fit into your course? How does SCORM fit into your course? As Mary suggested, make sure you have Topics or Weekly format set as the default and that editing is used to add elements. Even if you only ever use the first topic or week as a container for everything,, not a good idea by the way, it would show up. You can always add a SCORM package to a topics or weekly formatted course that has other materials in it but, as suggested, not always the other way around.
A suggested layout could be
Topic 1 is named Announcements and every announcement is clearly dated.
Topic 2 has the forums and feedback module or has one forum and topics 3 and 4 has the other forum and the feedback activities respectively.
As long as Announcements are clearly titled and dated, it should all be good.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
When you created the course, what did you use for a Start Date?
If the date is in the future the course activities will not be available until that date.
You do not need a SCORM activity. Course can be a single activity, such as a FORUM or have multiple activities.

Screen capture of how the course looks when you are in Edit mode and then again when you close the Edit mode would be helpful.
Kind Regards.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

All my dates for the course is from 1st jan 2019 and ends at 31st dec 2020. My courses are Topic format. After creating a course, i added activities like chat room, discussion forum and feedback. But when i logged in from the student profiles, nothing is visible. So, i went back to admin and added a scorm package, only then i could see all the activities. But now, when i log in from the teacher account, i can't add any new activities or resources, even after turning the editing on.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Screenshots would help smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

I have attached 3 screenshots, 

The first slide is when i opened the course

The second one is when i turned editing on. As you can see on the right side, the add activity and add resources block is there, but it only appears for 2 seconds.

The third slide is when the same page is fully loaded and the activities are visible, but as you can see, the add activity and add resources block is missing.

All of this is through a teacher account. Without the add activity and add resources block, the teachers cannot add anything. i tried everything, but nothing worked. Your help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachment Slide1.JPG
Attachment Slide2.JPG
Attachment Slide3.JPG

by Mary Cooch -
Ok I am not an expert on themes but this is not a standard theme (and it looks a bit like the Snap! theme) Can you confirm which theme you are using and please change to one of the standard themes - Boost for example -and see if you have the same problem? Also what version of Moodle are you using?
In reply to Mary Cooch

The theme i am using is adaptable, moodle version 3.3.2. I cannot change the theme yet as i currently have a lot of users active on the website. i went through a lot of posts on this website. One of the people who had a similar problem solved it by going to module activity and fixing the restrictions. i wanted to try it but i could not find the module activity section.
Can you help me with that.
Thank you

Re: (ADAPTABLE/moodle 3.3.2)

by Mary Cooch -
Ok I will move this post to the Themes forum and I will rename it to Adaptable as I can't help with that theme, but others should be able to smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

އިޖާބަ: Re: (ADAPTABLE/moodle 3.3.2)

Okay, thank you.
But i don't think it's related to the theme

Re: އިޖާބަ: Re: (ADAPTABLE/moodle 3.3.2)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Turn on Enable theme change by url and then switch to Boost with the url (this will not affect any other users) - see if the problem remains...that will tell you if it is theme related.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: އިޖާބަ: Re: (ADAPTABLE/moodle 3.3.2)

by Jez H -
I don't think that's related to the theme either.

Are you using one of the standard course formats (edit course settings to check the course format).

Test with Boost as Emma already suggested using URL theme switching.

Also try "purge all caches" under the admin / development settings.