Developer meeting Tuesday 14 January 2020

Re: Developer meeting Tuesday 14 January 2020

by Rex Lorenzo -
Number of replies: 2
Very interested to hear about the Vue.js discussion. I would be interested in hear why Vue.js should be considered versus React. I haven't used Vue, but I feel that React has a larger community, so that means more resources for developers like tutorials/examples/etc.

If we go with Vue, I hope it isn't like how YUI was chosen over JQuery back in the day.

Also, the choosing a new JS framework should take into consideration mobile. Can the new JS framework be used for the next generation mobile app? I know there's React Native, does Vue have a similar project?
In reply to Rex Lorenzo

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If we go with Vue

To clarify, this is not about choosing a new JS infrastructure in Moodle at all. It was never intended to be like that.

The whole point of meetings and discussions like this is sharing experience and show what various community developers do in their plugins and customisations. I happen to know that Guy and some others have tried integrating Vue.js with Moodle and it does not hurt to see what can be achieved with these alternative approaches, what worked smoothly and what did not.

As far as I know, there is no near future plan to pick yet another JS framework for Moodle core. Quite opposite really - the core tends to aim to rely on standard ES6 modules only without additional dependency layers.

That does not mean we should isolate ourselves from innovation, experimentation and research.

hope it isn't like how YUI was chosen over JQuery back in the day

YUI was integrated into Moodle on 13 July 2006, one month and 13 days before the jQuery's initial release. Technically jQuery did not exist yet. Let us once and for all stop playing this Monday morning quarterback discussions.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Rex Lorenzo

by Samuli Karevaara -

> I know there's React Native, does Vue have a similar project?

Not to touch on anything else being discussed here, I'm answering this question that yes, there is Vue Native.