My Moodle site was halted after installing some plugins

My Moodle site was halted after installing some plugins

by Edward Shih -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Community,

We have started to used Moodle since 3.5, and recently we upgraded to Moodle 3.8. After installing some plugins (list below), our Moodle Website was halted immediately: each menu option of Site Administration didn't respond when clicking on it and even couldn't click the User name to pull down the menu for logout.

- block_configurable_reports_moodle37_2019060300; qtype_regexp_moodle38_2019112600; qtype_ordering_moodle38_2019102496; qtype_musictheory_moodle38_2019071600; qtype_coderunner_moodle38_2019111900; 

Here are some of the error messages: Error: Mismatched anonymous define() module: function(){return{tab:9,enter:13,escape:27,space:32,end:35,home:36,arrowLeft:37,arrowUp:38,arrowRight:39,arrowDown:40,8:56,asterix:106,pageUp:33,pageDown:34}}

After closing teh Web browser, I can re-login the site, but I still can't click any options of Site Administration, such as Plugins, and that forces me to re-install the whole Moodle Website. What woudl be the best to handle such situatuion? Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edward Shih

Re: My Moodle site was halted after installing some plugins

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just delete the plugins one by one until (hopefully) it works.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Acqua Alta -
... by deleting/removing the plugins folders directly on the web server. One by one, as Howard suggested. and after each removal, try to test if something changed for the better.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Acqua Alta

by Edward Shih -
Thank you, Acqua, for further explanation. It is helpful!
Yes, " try to test if something changed for the better."

Will Moodle 3.8+ or further version can solve these issues? Or, I need to wait for the updates of those plugins?
Thanks again.
In reply to Edward Shih

by Acqua Alta -
Was your issue resolved?

Regarding your question, I'm not sure what was the issue in your case. But in general, the plugin itself needs to officially support Moodle version X.Y (3.8, for example) - In a lot of cases the plugin would work even if the Moodle version is not officially supported, but the official support means that the developer tested the plugin on that version, verified that things are working well, and if needed changes were made to the code in order to meet new coding guidelines or API changes.

Sometimes, rarely I hope, problems can be because of bugs in Moodle core. For example, there is the fresh issue "Switching "JavaScript Cache" on crashes first.js" (MDL-67327) that affects Moodle 3.8 and causing problems with some plugins. It's already fixed but the fix will be present only in Moodle 3.8.1 and future versions.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Edward Shih -
Thank you, Howard! I will follow up with your guidelines.