How old is Moodle and why do the calendars go back to 1900?

How old is Moodle and why do the calendars go back to 1900?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 2

I spend a lot of time changing dates every year because my course is never in the same time setting for any other semester.  When I go to change the date, a small roll of the mouse and i am back as far as 1900 or out to 2050.

Why such a large span?

TTKMAWAN

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: How old is Moodle and why do the calendars go back to 1900?

by James Steerpike -
The developers would have used an existing library common to many PHP uses. 1900 is not that long ago - even now there is a lady out there born in 1903  and I can see an ID application which requires the date of birth of your parents. If anything , the range is too small and that will be based on the amount of space in bits required to store a date. One bit less and you won't cover a big enough range.
The whole Y2K problem was built around this - code was built with only 2 digits for a year. Seemed perfectly smart in the early seventies and what programmer them was thinking their code would still being used in the distant 21st century?
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: How old is Moodle and why do the calendars go back to 1900?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle was originally launched in a VERY low key way in 1900, Martin Dougiamas is actually 119 years old, but he has a photo of himself in his roof space that is ageing while he still looks perky and youthful (ish)
Average of ratings: Very cool (4)