is it possible to save a quiz as a new template

is it possible to save a quiz as a new template

by Michael Elphinstone -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I have been using Moodle for about 12 years now for online grammar testing at an Italian university, but I have never really been involved in the actual design of the webpages etc . Initially, I created my tests (quizzes) from scratch using templates provided by the technicians here at the university, but later on, since the format of the test always remained the same, it was easier and more time efficient to simply duplicate tests and then make changes to the individual questions.

The problem now is that although I have a data base of about 20 separate tests, if I have several of these open at the same time, and I make changes to one that has a template in common with another, then the other is also modified. I cannot seem to change the templates, and was wondering if I could save each individual test as a new template.

Sorry if this post is not terribly clear; my knowledge and use of Moodle is not extensive, and I may have expressed myself badly.

M

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Elphinstone

Re: is it possible to save a quiz as a new template

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Michael,
if my understanding is right, and given the fact that you seem to have created a large pool of questions, I'd take some time to organize the question bank and then, I'll proceed as follows:
  1. Create a template quiz: configure only the settings, and save it without adding any questions. Hide it from students.
  2. Duplicate the quiz as many times as you need, and add the questions from the question bank. I assume you want different questions for each test - correct me if my assumption is wrong.
I'm quite sure that in Moodle, if you modify a question, it changes in all the open quizzes that include that question. The only way to edit a question without having the change reflected in all the quizzes is to duplicate it in the question bank, editing it, and adding it to a specific quiz.
I hope this is clear!
Best,
Beatriz
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Michael Elphinstone -

Many thanks for your reply, Beatriz.  I'm sure your suggestion is the right way to go!! However, it looks as if it might be a lengthy process!

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but how do I organize (access?? create??) the question bank. At the university where I work, Moodle is hosted on a larger and quite complex platform, and although I create my own quizzes, I am not an administrator and so have limited access to the actual setting up of things. I'm also going to have to re-familiarize myself with setting up a template, since I created the last ones about 12 years ago!

M.

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Michael,
yes, the process might be lengthy but, according to my experience, it's worth spending some time on it, especially if, as it seems to be your case, you create a lot of quizzes with different questions each. You can also import your questions from course to course, and even between different Moodle instances.
You just need teacher/manager rights to organize the question bank. You can read some useful guides here and here. How to access the question bank depends on the version and design of your Moodle site. In my version, it's hidden/accessible on the gear menu of the course. 
Best,
B.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Once in a quiz, Questions can be created directly inside the quiz by clicking "Edit Quiz" or directly in the question bank by clicking on "Question Bank" and then on "Categories" (in the admin block). Questions can also be made off-line and imported. Many docs are available on this topic. 

If you don't intend for teachers to "share" quiz questions, I'd highly recommend that teachers create their questions at the "quiz" level instead of the default course level. This helps with long term organization (so you don't end up with hundreds of questions at the course level). This method also allows you to duplicate quizzes which will then make copies of each question (instead of 'sharing' questions).

Also consider a Naming convention for the titles Of the question (which is helpful if a question gets saved or moved into the wrong place or if teachers want to copy a question from one quiz and add it into another-Such as from a practice quiz to a final exam). By having the name of the quiz as the start of the question title, This helps you know where the question initially existing. That's just tidbits for my schools use case, you I'm sure will have your own use case. But check out the Moodle docs!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)