Section links in breadcrumb

Section links in breadcrumb

by Tim Bahula -
Number of replies: 5

Course formats: Collapsed Topics (3.5.0.3 2018052302) also Weekly format (2018051400) & Topics format (2018051400)

Moodle version: 3.5.7+ (20190725)

How can we link sections in the breadcrumb trail?

In Weekly format and Topics format, the sections are linked in the breadcrumb trail when Course layout is set to "Show one section per page", but not when it is set to "Show all sections on one page". (Onetopic format has the sections linked in the breadcrumb trail.) It would be useful for our students and teachers to quickly get back to the particular section of the course they are working on.

A hack would be acceptable, but it would be nice to have a setting somewhere to control this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Bahula

Re: Section links in breadcrumb

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I believe that when you are "Show all sections on one page" view, going to "EN-template-C-191204" is exactly what one would see if the "Week 1" breadcrumb could be clicked.  Since there is no difference, and maybe trying to confuse people that there is a difference, the "Week 1" breadcrumb is disabled.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Bahula -
The target of a section link is the section id on the course homepage, not the course homepage itself. That distinction is useful to reduce the need for scrolling on the course homepage.
In reply to Tim Bahula

by Rick Jerz -

Yes, you have a good point.  I think what you are implying is that if Week1 could be clicked, that one would be taken to the course page, but the browser would position this web page to Week1 (in your example.)

Have you checked the Tracker system to see if there is a feature request for this?  If not, create one.

In reply to Tim Bahula

by Tim Bahula -
I found the solution in Site Administration / Appearance / Navigation / Always link course sections. Set it to Yes. The problem is apparently solved. Although the section headings also get linked on the homepage which is rather overzealous.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Bahula

by Rick Jerz -
Interesting. If it works for you, do it.

On my Moodle, I am using Collapsed Topics, and as a "side" effect, I like how it removes the topic navigation in the left-side NavDrawer. However, when I tried turning this switch to Yes, the topic navigation shows in the left-side NavDraw, which I don't want to happen. Well, that's Moodle's flexibility! Great that you found a solution.