shall i use 1 click installer for LAMP?

shall i use 1 click installer for LAMP?

by Faisal Khan -
Number of replies: 7

While going through threads , i found out experts are not recommending to use script for moodle installing moodle like bitnami and softaculous for production enivronment. That is fine. How about 1 click installion of LAMP , for example i am using digital ocean and they do have 1 click LAMP installer. So, friends Shall I also avoid 1 click installer even for LAMP ?  Do you see any issues in troubleshooting  later because of 1 click LAMP installer....please need guidence here....as I am starting to deploy a new server...and have basic linux skills only....1 click LAMP instller seems quite appealing...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Faisal Khan

Re: shall i use 1 click installer for LAMP?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Almost everybody installs LAMP by using the packages that come with the OS. So, yes, it's fine.

BUT... this won't help you with checking the versions (particularly of PHP) are compatible with your chosen version of Moodle and it won't help if you need to make changes to any of the config files (e.g. PHP's php.ini and MySQL's my.cnf) - which you almost certainly will.

Having said that, DO is a well used system using standard versions of Linux OSs. There's nothing weird about it. You'll get loads of help online and you'll also get loads of help here if you need it.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Faisal Khan -
Thanks Howard, Do you mind elaborating this point, so I can understand the impact.

" it won't help if you need to make changes to any of the config files (e.g. PHP's php.ini and MySQL's my.cnf) "
In reply to Faisal Khan

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you follow Moodle's installation instructions you will often find recommendations to change things in php.ini (e.g. maximum file upload) and MySQL's my.cnf (utf8mb4 support). So, you have to know where those files are and how to get the system to re-read them after a change. However, I wouldn't worry too much - there's loads of help out there (and here)
In reply to Faisal Khan

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

You wrote:
> i found out experts are not recommending to use script for moodle installing moodle like bitnami and softaculous for production environment.

Both are correct (that the community here do not recommend those scripts and that was justified).

> How about 1 click installion of LAMP ,

What is that? Can you give an example?

> for example i am using digital ocean and they do have 1 click LAMP installer.

OIC. You mean, your hosting package comes packaged in a web GUI? One click will give you LAMP, another click a Moodle? Then you are in a shared hosting! It is not what the experts were talking about. They start with a VPS.

> Shall I also avoid 1 click installer even for LAMP?
If I understood the "1 click installer" correctly, then No, it is also not the advice.

> I am starting to deploy a new server...and have basic linux skills only....

If you have Linux skills _only_ (!), you are the perfect candidate for a Linux VPS and installing LAMP from the Linux distributors packages.

So the same conclusion as what Howard was saying.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
It's a Digital Ocean thing. You can spin up Ubuntu with some common configurations pre-loaded. It's just the same as using 'apt' but makes it easier.

DO is pretty good / sensible.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Faisal Khan

by James Steerpike -

Digital Ocean provide Linux virtual machines. As well as a choice of Linux distros, they also provide a LAMP stack which can be powered up as quickly as a blank OS. The results are exactly the same as picking Ubuntu and then installing the LAMP stack using apt. You still have root access and can configure as much as you desire - by command line as there is no GUI.

I would recommend using the Ubuntu LAMP with DO. There is some useful configuration done already such as enabling the firewall and some good installed stuff like Certbot to allow https. You can read about it here and these are things often forgotten when you create your own stack. Once you get the server configured correctly, installing Moodle will be dead easy. Follow the step by step guide for Ubuntu. One  trap - check your php version and adjust if necessary for php extensions.

Plenty to learn about Linux - you will be busy enough as it is. I have used DO for a while now and you really need to start learning the command line.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Faisal Khan

by Paul John -
1 click installer of LAMP makes user life easy since he dont have to worry about syncing the LAMP architecture with the server. I dont know whether DigitalOcean directly provides it or not but since i am using DO from Cloudways platform (...deleted...) so i get one click installer and all the server management hassle is taken away from me which makes my life super easy.

(Edited by Howard Miller to remove slightly suspicious looking link - original submission Tuesday, 10 December 2019, 7:21 AM)