Content after UTF-8 conversion

Content after UTF-8 conversion

by Tormod Aagaard -
Number of replies: 3
Hi!

When restoring a course made in 1.5.3 and iso-8859-1 in 1.6 utf-8, all strings get cut off after the first non-asci character. "Lærere" comes out as "L", "Bedre føre var" comes out as "Bedre f" etc.

Does this mean that no previous content can be used after update to 1.6?

Is this a bug that should be reported?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tormod Aagaard

Re: Content after UTF-8 conversion

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi tormod,

the backup/restore utf8 support is one of the things in the TODO list of changes remaining (such list will be available under this wiki page soon).

Anyway, your problem could be different depending of HOW are you running Moodle 1.6. Is it a clean installation or an upgraded one? Is it running under the new UTF8 mode or no? (If you see one message about to migrate DB in the admin page, then you are running under OLD (non UTF8) mode).

Also I would recommend to send all these sort of reports to the Unicode category in the Bugs system providing all the information available. Sure it helps developers a lot. TIA!

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Tormod Aagaard -
Hi,

I tried several things.

First I made a clean install of 1.6. with the xamp-package included on moodle.org. I then restored a course made in 1.5.3 to this installation.

I then made a clean install of 1.5.3, restored a course to this system, It all went well, and then I updated to 1.6, and the non-asci characters came out as question marks, or the strings were just cut off at that point.

I'll post to the bugtracker.

In reply to Tormod Aagaard

by Tormod Aagaard -
This is embarrasing.

It was only the database migration that hadn't been done.

Sorry for the extra work I may have caused.

blush