User rights - Users joining/leaving authorised institutions

User rights - Users joining/leaving authorised institutions

by Training Portal -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I'm looking to create the following structure and would appreciate any guidance.

User roles:
Student
InstitutionalSuperUser
CourseCreator

Student signs up using email and id number (all unique)
Student then applies to join an institution (only one at a time)

InstitutionalSuperUser can accept / remove students assigned to the institution. 

The CourseCreator creates courses and assigns them to certain Institutions.  There can be hundreds of institutions and they can host courses from multiple CourseCreators.

Students only have access to courses assigned to the institution they belong to.  If they get removed, they retain the badges earned, etc but can no longer access the courses when they belonged to the institution.

Basically I want to allow students to join / leave institutions, retaining their history.  Course creators build/own the content but only allow certain Institutions to offer their courses.  CourseCreators also have various categories (eg. mathematics, physics, chemistry) and can allow only certain categories available to certain Institutions.

Is there a way to create this type of structure without custom code?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Training Portal

Re: User rights - Users joining/leaving authorised institutions

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle doesn't have the concept of an "Institution".

You're sort-of hinting at multi-tenancy. Possibly, have a look at www.iomad.org (a fork of Moodle supporting multi-tenancy)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Training Portal -

Thanks Howard, yes am trying to avoid full blown multi-tenancy.  If I could set the 'institution' as a cohort and limit a user to manage that single cohort only, this could work.  But the user should only be able to see and add/remove from that particular cohort.  I've seen some questions on creating a 'cohort manager' role but no replies.

In reply to Training Portal

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can organise your Institutions as Course Categories and then assign Managers to individual Course Categories. It gets you some of the way there.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Training Portal -
Thank you very much, have played around with a combination of cohorts and course categories and ticks most of the boxes. Appreciated!