Continuous Backup of moodle site

Re: Continuous Backup of moodle site

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not sure what you mean by 'development'. Do you mean development of Moodle content (i.e. Courses, activities, resources etc.) as opposed to custom Moodle code "development". Clearly, for the latter, git is ideal.

For the former, you are attempting something that has never (to my knowledge) been successfully achieved - synchronising multiple Moodle sites.

The obvious solution is to backup a course on the development site and restore it on the staging site. If some degree of automation is required, I would take a look at Moosh - https://moosh-online.com/
In reply to Howard Miller

by Dhruva Gupta -
With development I mean, that we have a system where moodle serves as course taking platform and to store grades etc. We have another front end platform where we a dashboard displaying the top scorers, number of completion per course etc directly from the database. Also, any new plugins/themes we try happens over the development and once approved by authorities, it gets pushed to production
In reply to Dhruva Gupta

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Re. testing plugins and themes. Use git to organise your Moodle code base.

Regarding moving Moodle student data like that - that's very difficult. I don't like to say, "it can't be done" but it doesn't hurt to think that. It's certainly not easy.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am a little puzzled by the notion of "continuous backup." There seems to be two things that might go wrong: 1) something on the server, 2) something within Moodle.

2) If it is something within Moodle, would not the (continuous) backup immediately have the same problem? Wouldn't one want to have a history of backups, instead of a continuous backup?

1) If it is something on the server, the backup server would have to become the "current" server. I am guessing that this might not be too hard to do... one points these domain name to the new server and then www.domainname.com/moodle becomes the active server. Right?

I am not planning to do this myself, but I am just wondering about these schemes so that I can learn.
In reply to Dhruva Gupta

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Looks to me that you plan to do two things - a) reporting b) testing the next version of the site - with one server (apart from the production server). There is a big difference between them, a) needs current data b) need not, and can not, keep up with the current data. It is at most a snap shot of the production instance and then develop on its own. You need to rethink your idea.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)