[3.8] - grades in a random quiz

[3.8] - grades in a random quiz

by Thomas Renard -
Number of replies: 11

I have a question relating to the score of questions. What I want to achieve:

1. a quiz containing random questions I get from a question pool
2. each question in the pool has it's own maximum points to achieve
3. the quiz needs to automatically use these maximum points of the random questions to calculate the total.

How can I achieve point 2 and 3?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Thomas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Renard

Re: [3.8] - grades in a random quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is not possible as you state it. The maximum grade is associated with the 'slot' in the quiz that the random question is picked to fill.

What you can do is this:

1. Decide that every student will get two 3-point question, One 2-point question, and Two 1-point questions.
  2. Organise your question bank with with categories '1-point questions', '2-point quesitons', '3-point questions'
  3. Built the quiz with the first two questions picked at random from the 3-point questions category, ... etc.
  4. Turn on the 'Shuffle questions' option.

Or, you could use a completely different activity plugin, like 'Question practice' or 'Student quiz'.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Miro Iliaš -
Thanks for your response, Tim.

Isn't there a feature request in Moodle Tracker that a random question uses maximum points of picked question ?
In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Thomas Renard -
Hi Miro,

Could you give me the link to that request in Moodle Tracker?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Thomas

by Miro Iliaš -

Hi Thomas,

I do not know about such ticket (I am asking about it), but if there is none, one should open the ticket.

In reply to Miro Iliaš

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No point making a feature request for this. The quiz does not work this way. It would be impossible to implement.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Thomas Renard -
Hi Tim,

In what way would it be impossible to implement this?

Best regards,

Thomas

by Tim Hunt -

Well, PHP is a Turing-complete programming language, so of course one can implemente anything in it. But, to implement some things, you would basically have to start again from the beginning.

My main reason for saying it is practically impossible to implement the feature you want within the Moodle quiz activity comes from thinking about the data model that underpins the quiz. The Quiz database structure docs page is woefully out-of-date, but actually while details have changed, the latest schema is logically the same.

The way the current schema is organised (the key point is that maxmark is a column in the quiz_slots table) has implications throught the quiz codes (e.g. all the grading calculations, all the reports and statistics). It is not feasible to change it.

If you really need the kind of activity you describe, it would be best to create a new type of activity https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Using_the_question_engine_from_module

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Thomas Renard -
Thank you, Tim,

That's a good solution there. Though if for example I only have 4 questions in the '3-point questions' and 20 in the '1-point questions' the chance of getting the same question more often is bigger. But I'll give it try!

Best regards,

Thomas
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Thomas Renard -
Hi Tim,

I have thought about this for a while but is it not so that there is a chance that I will get the same question twice?

For example, suppose I compile a quiz like this:
- random 1 point question
- random 3 point question
- random 5 point question

All random 1 point questions can be potentially the same no?

Best regards,

Thomas

by Tim Hunt -
No. The code that picks random questions makes sure that you never get the same question twice in an attempt. (And, if the quiz allows multiple attempts, then in the second attempt, if there are enough different questions, it tries to use questions that the student did not see in their first attempt.)