assignment with video on Android 9

assignment with video on Android 9

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

When creating an upload file assignment, expecting a video, the behaviour on Android is weird.

The student clicks on video, is sent to the video camera app of the device, can make a video and that's it. Stuck in the video app. How do you get that video in the Moodle app? The Moodle app is not listed under the share icon.

For using the camera, it works perfect: camera app opens, take a picture , you get an approve-icon and on approve you are send back to the Moodle app.

In IOS you have to give the the Moodle app permission to use the camera and it works.

In Android I can't give the Moodle app permission to use the camera (only microphone)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: assignment with video on Android 9

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Koen. Well this is doubtless going to be not much use since I expect different Android phones work in different ways and I can only show what I did on my Android phone (Honor 20 Android 9 ) I don't remember having to add any permission for the Moodle app to use the video camera...

1. Went to an assignment as a student and clicked Add submission / Add file
  2. Selected Video

Choose video

3. Then took the video and when finished, clicked the  "tick" at the top of the screen...

Tick video

4. Then was returned to the assignment - saw the video at the  bottom and clicked "Save" at the top...

Save video

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: assignment with video on Android 9

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Thank you for your extended answer Mary. My screen looks like yours using camera, but not with video. As you can see on my screenshot, the tick box is missing. None of te other icons do anything useful either. So my camera app behaves different (it's the default app).

screenshot showing missing tick box

I had as only software that I could imagine doing something weird, the Nova Launcher installed. I removed that but the result stays the same. The phone is a Nokia 7 plus with Android One, currently at version 9.