Verification of user at Random Intervals

Verification of user at Random Intervals

by Ratish Saini -
Number of replies: 10

Hi, Our course have two very important requirements.

1. Throughout the course, the Login page will come up for user to enter password for verification at random intervals.

2. Before each Quiz, the  Login page will be displayed the same way for verification.

Can anyone  guide me which direction to go. I don't want to change core files.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ratish Saini

Re: Verification of user at Random Intervals

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers
I have to wonder why you'd need to do this. If moodle has lost their login session, it makes you re-authenticate (certainly on a course etc, as opposed to just the home or course category pages).
On every other VLE, this is verification enough.
Canvas (my places' current primary vle) mobile app doesn't ask them to re-authenticate every time. So does the moodle one. You have to think someone high up said that this was acceptable in academia - students want the convenience they get from facebook and google these days.
In reply to Dave Perry

by Ratish Saini -

I agree with both of you. Actually I didn't phrased my question well. 

What I am looking for is not reauthentication but verification of student through out the course. For example student have to answer a random security challange question for which he had already saved his answer earlier may be in his user profile or in a separate user table. 

I have found an old thread on similar topic.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=83695

But this thread is old and I am working on version 3.7 of moodle.

Is there any plugin or code snippet available for current version which implement similar funtionatilty. 

In reply to Ratish Saini

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
It still makes no sense to me. If a student has someone else take the course for them (which I am presuming this is trying to prevent), they will just give that person the answers. I have seen plugins (maybe exam security) that will take photos of the student but I am pretty sure they are paid versions. At this point in online education, most places are just concerned about the exam part, knowing that there is no real way to continually verify the student is interacting or is actually the same person.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ratish Saini

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
No plugins that I know of. You can shorten the session timeout setting ...if a user is being active there should not really be a reason to make them keep logging back in...not sure what you need to achieve (except aggravating your students of course!! wink . For test security, you could add a password maybe...
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Thomas Beard -

I have the same question! The reason is that The Texas Real Estate Commission is requiring this random verification. We possibly could use a third party to verify with a web cam, but would rather have the system do it.so that students could test when we are out of the office. THANKS

In reply to Ratish Saini

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi, Interesting question. You need to explain it a bit more

> 1. Throughout the course,

What is that "course"? I mean, is it a synchronous class of an hour or two, or a short course if 1-3 days, or a blended learning szenario, spanning many weeks, a semester, or even longer?

> the Login page will come up for user to enter password for verification at random intervals.

Obviously, it can't be the login page, the participant has passed it to reach your course. May be you mean a pop-up which the candidate have to pass to continue?

> 2. Before each Quiz, the Login page will be displayed the same way for verification.

You mean, before taking (certain) exams, the same thing happens?

Technically they are different, because one is random the other is pinned to the quiz. Either way the information requested could be similar. Could you explain more?
In reply to Ratish Saini

Ynt: Verification of user at Random Intervals

by Fatih Simsek -

Hi.

This is really excatly what I need to do, too.

Did you find the solution?

Regards

Thanks

In reply to Fatih Simsek

Re: Ynt: Verification of user at Random Intervals

by Tom Dorsey -

Did you find a solution to this?

Tom

In reply to Tom Dorsey

by Hui Jillain -

Well, I guess not. We are seeking the same solutions here. If this random verification function would not work, we may have to skip Moodle sad

In reply to Hui Jillain

by Thomas Beard -

My boss is paying some to write a code to do this. It will work as a module in the learning path. Not random, but enough to keep The Texas Real Estate Commission happy.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)