Cannot duplicate quiz activities in any moodle version

Re: Cannot duplicate quiz activities in any moodle version

by Leandro C. -
Number of replies: 3
Howard Miller, Thanks for your attention.

I tried to enable debugging fuction as you can see in the attachment. Could you tell me which options I should choose on the "Debugging page"?

I selected the follow options:

Debug messages (ALL)
Display debug messages (ON)
Show page information (ON)

You will also find in the attachments the example for "crashes".

I was unsuccessful enabling the options listed above, since the screen is always loading.

In reply to Leandro C.

by Juan Carlos Jimenez -
Hola Leandro.
Solucionaste el problema? A mí me pasa lo mismo.
Hi leandro.
Did you solve the problem? The same happens to me.
In reply to Juan Carlos Jimenez

by Amanda Morgan -

This seems to be caused by the amount  of questions (and question banks!) attached to the quiz.

I use a non-tech way to solve the issue, as I don't have access to our database.

Open your existing quiz, and use the "Export Quiz Block" plugin to export the quiz as a Wordtable file. Open that file on your computer, and save it as a Word document (docx).

Still in the quiz you have issues with (you must be in the quiz), select Question Bank, Import. Under the General selection, select the category named "Default for (QuizName)", where QuizName is the name of the quiz you have issues with - it will be at the very top of the selectable categories list. Also, ensure you DESELECT both "Get context, and Get Category from file".

You will now have a category which is only visible when editing THAT quiz, and contains only the questions for THAT quiz.

Next, in that particular quiz, using "Edit Quiz", select ALL the questions and delete them. Now save.

Now, go back to editing that quiz but, this time, when adding questions, select "from question bank" and make sure you select the very top "Default for (Quizname)" category you created earlier. Select ALL the questions and add them and save.

Now, when you try to duplicate the quiz, it will no longer try to bring every single question bank with it, and should duplicate just fine. An alternative is to do the duplication when the "problem" quiz is empty, and then, in both the "problem" quiz and its duplicate, you can import from the "Default for (Quizname)" category to repopulate with the questions.

It was a mouthful, but it's quite fast and quite easy, and appears to solve the immediate issue of being unable to duplicate quizzes, if the problem is caused by having used higher level (Course or System) question banks which contain many thousands of questions.

HTH someone.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Amanda Morgan

by Amanda Morgan -
Missed a step:

At this stage, from above:
"Still in the quiz you have issues with (you must be in the quiz), select Question Bank, Import. Under the General selection, select the category named "Default for (QuizName)", where QuizName is the name of the quiz you have issues with - it will be at the very top of the selectable categories list. Also, ensure you DESELECT both "Get context, and Get Category from file"."

I should have added: Browse to find, or drag and drop, your docx file from previous step, and import it.

Things then continue as above.