Moodle 3.8+ Question Bank -> Questions -> Preview button move to Edit actions submenu

Moodle 3.8+ Question Bank -> Questions -> Preview button move to Edit actions submenu

by P P -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

on Moodle 3.8+ Question Bank -> Questions, to preview a question one needs to click Edit -> Preview under Actions column but before 3.8+ the preview button was placed next to the question itself so there was no need to click Edit button. Also the previewed question is not opened on a new popup window.

This new one is very annoying cause reviewing lots of questions requires to loose a lot of time. 

Is there any setting to go back to the previous scenario?

Thanks in advanced. smile

Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to P P

Re: Moodle 3.8+ Question Bank -> Questions -> Preview button move to Edit actions submenu

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

What you are seeing is the progressive change to a consistent user interface, which has been happening for a while.  I think that I made a feature request when the grade book made this change.  Actually, I think Tim Hunt made a post not to long ago letting us know about this question bank change.

Anyway, you can make a feature request in Moodle Tracker to go back to the old method (but I don't think it will do any good.)  I am not part of Moodle HQ, I am just another user giving you some thoughts.

As a suggestion about how to preview a bunch of questions, consider creating a quiz and putting these questions into it.  Then, review the quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Moodle 3.8+ Question Bank -> Questions -> Preview button move to Edit actions submenu

by P P -
Thanks a lot for the info. I had no idea about it. Somrient
In reply to P P

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As Ruck says this was an intentional change, and I posted about it in the Quiz forum before making it, to see if there was a strong objection and there wasn't, although there was some debate about the extra click required.

I have mixed feeling about this, and also the change which means that the preview now opens in a new tab rather than a pop-up window. The extra click is a down-side, but there there positives.

One thing that used to be wrong with the old UI was that if you used the standard short-cut to open the preview in a new tab in the background (CTRL + click) then that did not work. Instead, the only option was to right-click and choose 'Open in new tab' - so that is two clicks per question. With the new UI, you can just keep CTRL held down, and choose preview from each menu - also two clicks per question, but less fiddly, because they are all clicks wiht the left mouse button. So, my own experience is that for "reviewing lots of questions" - which I do quite a lot when I have to find an example question that is suitable for testing the code I am working on, is that the new UI is slightly better.

I also like the fact that the menu makes the UI less cryptic, and means that we can afford to add a few extra options there (like Export as XML).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by P P -
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for your time and dedication.

Secondly, regarding to the UI change. The ctrl+click issue, could it be cause the anchor links wheren't build through HTML (Foo) and instead the link was triggered uppon click through Javascript? Imean, any standanrdard HTML anchor should work on click or on ctrl+click, so I would have fixed that issue instead of changing the UI just to workaroudn this issue.

On the other hand, maybe, keeping the Edit menu as is but giving the user/admin the avility to set som default actions shown like old schools Moodle could be an option. Even, it could came with some action icons shown as default, emulating the old school UI but also, as said, giving the user the avility to hide them through some sort of quiz management section.

Kind regards, Somrient
In reply to P P

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The reason you give is why the old code did not work right with ctrl+click. It was a bug, but one that no-one ever got around to fixing, so avoiding it is worthwhile.

Adding options just because you don't like some change in the UI is hardly ever a good idea.

I would rather think of further changes that unequivocally move the UI forwards. One idea that has been considered in the past, and might be worth actually doing, is a sort-of enhanced tool tip, so if you hover your mouse over one question for a while, you get a preview of that question. That might be the best way to make it quick and easy to find the question you want.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -

I like this idea of "hovering" the question and having a preview appear.

I also thought about what else we might someday like as additional features from the drop-down "Edit" menu.  One idea would be to have a "Where Used" choice that would show every quiz where this question is being used.  And maybe a choice "Statistics for this Question."  And maybe "Move to" and "Copy to"?  And possibly "Show Duplicates."  I am just brainstorming a little.

I do like the "Export as XML" feature, and this made me wonder if there should also be an "Import XML" choice so that a person could easily import these XML questions right into the displayed question category.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What if the preview icon stayed on the same place and all the other options were inside the edit menu? The user would have the possibility to quickly preview the question and, if needed, to act upon them on each "edit" menu.

Most likely users will have to look for questions and this change will make that task harder and - I'm assuming - won't see the advantages because most of them do not use tags or IDs.

Rick's suggestion for "Statistics" is very very interesting, but I believe would take a big overhaul because the stats would need to be question focused instead of quiz like it is at this stage.

I had some interesting conversations about the question's management at the Global Moot and intent to share some ideas soon.
In reply to Hugo Ribeiro

by Rick Jerz -
"What if the preview icon stayed on the same place and all the other options were inside the edit menu?" This is not a consistent UI, is it?

All that I can say is that if there is a strong argument for improving the interface, people will listen. I have seen this (improvements to the quiz engine and user-interface) for the last 10 years.

As another idea, it would someday be nice to allow the administrator to "customize" the many drop-down menus, perhaps removing options that are seldom used or not desired.  Then, if the drop-down gets below 5 choices, Moodle automatically reverts to showing icons.  Oh, something like this.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You are right Rick. One could argue that view option is one thing and the actions themselves would be inside the menu.

But I understand. The interface is cleaner and the amount of extra time needed for the task is not relevant.

Cheers