Category Enrolment

Category Enrolment

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Number of replies: 10

Hello, I have moodle version 3.6.2 and adaptable theme.

I have used category enrolment for some users: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Category_enrolments

Is it possible to also autiomatically put that person into a group in the course? So for example:

Category: Science (made up of lots of different science courses)

Group A: exists in all the courses

User A: assigned to category 'Science'

I want User A to be automatically put into group A in all the courses (without having to manually add him)

Thanks,

Kathryn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathryn Woodhead

Re: Category Enrolment

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, if you start using cohorts...so you can add the cohort enrollment to all courses that you want the users in and there is an option to make groups within the courses for each cohort.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Hello, yes I have created cohorts for the category. But I would then like for all users in the cohort to automatically be added to a specific group in the courses?
The only way I can see of doing that is by using the cohort sync enrolment plugin, but I have 200+ courses and so I don't want to have to go into every course and add the enrolment method. Therefore, is there a way I can automatically do this? Maybe through a CSV?

It is explained a bit better in this forum post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=354147

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If you are comfortable with mysql, you could probably do it directly in the database but currently you are manually adding people to groups, which I imagine takes way more time than setting the courses up correctly one time...

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Hello, I am not familiar with it, maybe you could explain please and I will ask our IT team?

What do you mean when you say setting up the courses correctly one time?
Sorry if I am not explaining this properly, maybe this will explain better:
I have 5 custom roles set up: Principal Examiner, Operations, Product Development, Chair and Reviser
I have assigned all 5 roles to the category, so the users are automatically enrolled into all the 50 courses (each course repeated per season)
Inside each of the courses, I have also created 5 groups: Principal Examiner, Operations, Product Development, Chair and Reviser
I would like the users to be automatically put into their group based on their role.

I can use a CSV file to upload all the users to the 50 courses every season. However, using category enrolment means I dont have to upload users 4 times a year as they are automatically enrolled to any new courses. I was looking for a way that I could link that? So when they are enrolled through category enrolment, they are also put into their respective group in the course?

Have I set this up properly? Is using a CSV to upload users 4x a year the best way to achieve this? Or can it be done in combination with category enrolment/ cohort sync plugin?

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Okay I've just discovered the auto group plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_autogroup
I've created a template course and used auto group to seperate the people into the groups based on their department field.

Now the question I have is, if I am doing a bulk upload of courses (CSV file), how can I copy this auto group rule from the template course into all the new courses?
I 've tried uploading as a backup file and using the short name to restore the course but it doesnt copy over the auto group rule

by Emma Richardson -
I was just about to suggest that. That is actually my plugin. It will work with the upload course feature if the templated course has it enabled and set up, it will copy to the new one. You need to select in the plugin settings to automatically copy it to new/restored courses etc...

by Kathryn Woodhead -

Hello Emma,

Thanks it works, I just have a question:

If I select 'Add to new courses' will it automatically add to all new courses on the vle? or only to courses which I want it to add groups to?

I have set it to group people by department, this is not something I want it to do for all courses, just courses in one particular category.

Thanks,

Kathryn

by Emma Richardson -
It will add it to any course that is added.

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Hi Emma, thanks for you help - I just have a question.

I have set auto groups to split users up by department. I have also assigned these users to a category and enrolled them through category assignment. I created a CSV file to bulk upload courses and then 'restore from course after upload' was set to a template course that had autogroups.

The new courses created the template courses and created the groups, however they did not add the users to the group? The users definitely have the correct department profile field. I'm not sure why they are not being added to the group?

Thanks,
Kathryn

by Manish Kala -
Hello everyone can anyone help me?
I have a category that includes 12 subcategories I want that instead of paying for each course user will pay one at a time.
for eg I want a payment gateway for the category that user will pay one amount and get enroll for all the courses inside the category

Thanks in Advance