How to make simple math problems using Tex

Re: How to make simple math problems using Tex

by AL Rachels -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I always found that for those types of problems, it was simpler to use a CLOZE type question, with the numbers in a, two row high by one column wide table, and spaces as needed to make things line up. Once you make one question, duplicate it, make changes as needed for a new addition problem, then save it. Same general idea for subtraction, plus you can add another row to "complicate" the problem.

+ 532
_________
{1:SHORTANSWER:~%100%766#Excellent!}

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: How to make simple math problems using Tex

by Laurie Huber -

Hi

I am new to this forum and a bit of a newbie to setting up online math.  I have used Moodle extensively to develop English reading and writing programs for K-12.

I have tried the cloze activity for vertical additions, but the answers always fail to line up from a place value perspective.  That is problematic with elementary grade learners since they are trying to understand place value.

I have tried the same process using Gapfill, but the multi-digit answers stack rather than forming a horizontal line.

Surely, it is time to develop tools for elementary math (multi-digit multiplication/subtraction/additions and long form division). Or, is there a tool already that does allow these questions to be done step by step, easily?

Despite what we all may think, children are not as teck-savy as they seem and they need easy to work with math activities online that go beyond multiple choice or "use a calculator and enter your answer.

Having to use tools that are painful for kids to work with only makes them less interested in math - not the direction that we want them to go.

Any suggestions for tools that might work would be greatly appreciatedsmile