Teachers should activate contents

Teachers should activate contents

by Hendrik Scheel -
Number of replies: 5

Hey there,

I have been trying to find answers myself browsing the forum, but was not really successful so far. Maybe you could help me out here. smile

I would like to create template courses with all the contents that will be relevant. My idea was to create those courses, make a backup and then import the contents to whatever new course I would create. But when trying this with an existing course and a new one I created for testing purposes, I could not import the backup into the new course. Is there a special strategy I need to follow?

My main question is: What I would like to have is a course that already has all the desired contents in it, but these contents are not visible from the beginning, but rather become visible to students when the teacher activates them. I dont want to activate contents based on activity completion, but rather find a way where teachers can decide for each resource whether it should be activated or not. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you very much in advance, I have the feeling that the answer is very obvious...

Henry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hendrik Scheel

Re: Teachers should activate contents

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am not sure if I totally understand, but will provide some thoughts.

Moodle's "Restore" system is comprehensive, flexible, and confusing. Have you tried restoring the template course as a new course?

Each semester, I make a backup of the course just completed, without user data, and restore this as a new course for the next semester. Everything is then there to begin the next course. Yes, I do adjust due dates for activities, and other miscellaneous admin things.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Hendrik Scheel -
Hey Rick,

thanks very much for your comment! No, what I did was create a new course in which I wanted to restore the backup. Is this the right way?

Thanks again!!
Best regards from Spain
Henry

by Rick Jerz -
If it were me, I would not create a new course. I would simply restore as a new course, putting this course into your desired course category. I'll attach a picture showing the relevant section.

Gee, had I know you are in Spain, I would have stopped by to visit.  I just spent two weeks in Spain, traveling around, and attending the GlobalMoot.
Attachment restore as new course.jpg

by John Provasnik -

Can you elaborate more about the workflow?

When you say 'activate' do you mean 'visible to students' or 'students can submit it'

Could the teachers just Un-hide the activities when they're ready for students to see them?

In reply to John Provasnik

by Hendrik Scheel -
Hey John,

thanks for your help. That is what I mean! Just visible to students. A few days after posting this question I kept thinking about this and I thought that it could not be that difficult, so I found out exactly what you are suggesting. I can have all contents invisible and then each teacher can make them visible when desired. Awesome!