Is my benchmark score any good?

Is my benchmark score any good?

by Ardian Deari -
Number of replies: 9

Hi, this is my site's benchmark. Do you think these scores are good enough for the page to have a great performance or should I change something. All the best,

my site's benchmark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ardian Deari

Re: Benchmark Score (Your Moodle seems to have some difficulties.)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

No, I don't s any anything which warrants the subject "Your Moodle seems to have some difficulties". That is what happens when you piggy back on somebody else's thread.

About your own question: Your server seem to be powerful and well tuned. Generally no complaint means good, but your numbers are exceptionally good. See for yourself: [Moodle BenchMark] Need Beta-tester.

May you share the hardware specifications and what system do you run, how you installed/tuned the installation?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Ardian Deari -
First of all, I really apologize about commenting here. I thought I could share here mine too. However, thanks a lot for your response.
I have my own root server at german company. The server specifications:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Quad-Core Skylake
Ram memory: 64 GB DDR4 RAM
Space: 2 x 512 GB NVMe SSD (Software-RAID 1)
Bandwidth: 1 Gbit/s

All the best,
In reply to Ardian Deari

Is this server great? Moodle Benchmark Score is 56.

Don't worry about the piggy-back. Moodle.org is very tolerant. (Anything goes, I almost said. smile ) In fact two completely unrelated servers have already appeared in this thread https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=388837 - one with "some difficulties" and one without any noticeable difficulties until the owner moved the temp folder to RAM.

Looking at your hardware the high score is no wonder. You didn't mention the system software (LAMP), I assume it is 'L' as in Linux. Some details of your installation would be informative for others who are considering high capacity servers.

Yes, in my experience a single powerful server takes you a long way before you have to start clustering. See for example this https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=392621#p1582781 discussion.

Re: Is this server great? Moodle Benchmark Score is 56.

by Ardian Deari -
You are totally right. A full dedicated server seems to be very powerful, especially for Moodle. I used to install Moodle on more than three servers. Like VPS - shared 8GB Ram = not happy with it or VPS - Dedicated 16GB Ram = not happy with it and so on. Finally, I decided to move into something better a full dedicated with the above-mentioned hardware performances. The software part of my dedicated server is like below:
Product: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.20 (I used to have Plesk Onyx but the latest one Obsidian is much better than Onyx)
Database Server type MariaDB (I used to have the old MySql but it is much slower than MariaDB)
Php version 7.3 using Nginx
The moodle data folder is in my home directory and I've also changed this: Site Administration > Server > Cleanup > Clean up temporary data files older than '1 hour'.

To sum up all of this, personally, I've used different methods to speed up Moodle, but in my opinion changing the database type from Mysql to MariaDB really affected my page speed. All my students (around 700 users) are very happy because the page loads much faster now.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ardian Deari

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Other stuff that I like to bang on about and I have seen make considerable differences to performance..
* Caching. The MUC configuration is critical to Moodle performance. The default is to write all this stuff to file which is almost always sub-optimal. Consider implementing a proper cache server. Limited experimenting has shown (me) that Redis works best.
* Sessions. Again, the default is to write to file storage. On a busy site Redis, again, may produce performance improvements. Don't use database sessions.
* Locking. Moodle has a locking API that uses (guess what!) file locks by default. It's easy to switch this to the database.

You can probably gather that "straight out of the box" Moodle is very reliant on the performance of 'moodledata' as all sorts of performance critical stuff ends up there. A high performance disk subsystem will make all the difference but there may be further improvements. On the flip side, a poorly performing disk subsystem (and/or a slow share) can really kill performance.
In reply to Ardian Deari

Hi

Thanks for the details of the system software. Surely you have chosen the best set. But one thing to keep in mind, it is not about putting a perfect server in operation, rather you will have to monitor and make adjustments as you go on. Notoriously caching, as Howerd mentioned. But of course, the platform has to be solid. Yours is a well tested and proven one.

Some details, if you don't mind: I never used Plesk, Cpanel, Webmin, ... No idea whether there interfere with the performance. I work on the Shell.

The performance improvement from MySQL to MariaDB is new to me - haven't done any side-by-side comparison though. But, yes, PHP 7.3 brought a big improvement.

Finally, I am surprised that for 700 users your VPSes were too weak - did you monitor them? What was the bottleneck. Unless you are talking of 700 users logged in at a given time, last 5 Min for example, your root server is an overkill. Bear in mind, 700 users in total, 700 logged in at the same time and 700 hitting the load button of an on-line exam at the same second are three vastly different things. Sorry, the simple "number of users" question is a long story. You might want to go through recent discussion in this (Hardware and performance) forum.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
TBH... I've never done a side by side comparison either but I would be surprised if there was a difference between MariaDB and MySQL. The bits that matter are the same.

by Howard Miller -
I split your discussion from the one you hijacked and also moved to the Performance and hardware forum...
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ardian Deari -
Thanks a lot for your replies. I have never used Redis or Memcached.
1. Will they affect my page speed?
2. Are the cached files going to be used at the same directory for instance Moodledata or somewhere else? (in case of any server transfer till now I only backup file system, moodledata and db)
3. Do I need REDIS according to the results above, if yes I will try my best to install it.
Thank you a lot!