Error reading from database

Error reading from database

by Calvin Bu -
Number of replies: 4

Hello All,

I am currently using Moodle v3.3.7 with MySQL v5.7.22 for database engine . When I migrate this Moodle environment into my new test/development that is using MySQL v8.0.17 as the database engine for the back-end, everything seem to work fine, except one course. It gave me the "Error reading from database" message.

Does Moodle v3.3.7 compatible with MySQL v8?

Thank you for your help!

Cal

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Calvin Bu

Re: Error reading from database

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
More importantly.... support for the 3.3 branch ended completely over a year ago. Please upgrade.

Compatibility with early versions of MySQL 8 was added in 3.3.7 but you have a more recent version. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are problems.
In reply to Calvin Bu

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As long as you are 'out there' ... on the 'leading edge'  (vr 8.xx of MySQL) ... please turn on debugging all the to max ... attempt the troubled course backup again ... let's see what it says.

Share back.

You might be saving someone else from some headaches and a tracker submission. smile

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Calvin Bu -
Thank you all for responding to my question.

After spending couple hours to troubleshoot the "Error database reading" issue with this course, I discovered that the "Checklist" plugin was the reason why this course was failing. Uninstall & then reinstall the "Checklist" plugin did not work.

I plan to go ahead to perform the upgrade from v3.3.7 to v3.6.6 tomorrow. Hopefully, the new Moodle version will correct the "Checklist" issue with the newer plugin.

Thanks,
Cal
In reply to Calvin Bu

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
If you want to play safe, uninstall the plug-in, delete its source. Upgrade Moodle and then install the matching version of the plug-in.

Why do you go for 3.6? The current stable is 3.7. Don't have PHP 7.1? If it is the case you might want to go for the Release 3.5 (LTS), which is supported 12 months longer.