Setup for multiple teachers with own participants, same exact course

Setup for multiple teachers with own participants, same exact course

by Lazaros Sotiriadis -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

We use moodle to teach in different classrooms with different teachers the same exact course.
I see that you can assign groups and multiple teachers to the same course but we want to have teachers with limited access and privacy that can only see their own students and not all students activities progress etc.

Is that possible or do we need to copy the course for each teacher?
Is there any possibility to limit teachers to not edit the assignments or material and to not be able to import or export staff or students to the course?

Regards,

Lazaros

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lazaros Sotiriadis

Re: Setup for multiple teachers with own participants, same exact course

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In the course setting, set 'Separate groups mode'.

And, edit the permissions for the teacher role, to remove the 'Access all groups' permission.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As Tim mention 'separate groups mode' works great for this type of use.

For the elementary teachers we have been creating district courses where there will be 800+ students enrolled with 40+ teachers. Because this is a shared course that is already created for them to use because they are Course meta-link enrolled we change more permissions. So besides the 'Access all groups' permission, we change permissions for the teacher role, to include not access  'edit or add … activities and resources'.  This way the teachers are not adding their own activities and resources to the shared course.

We are doing this to introduce our elementary teachers to Moodle. This way as teacher become more familiar with teaching with Moodle and get comfortable they can start using their own course and learn how to create learning activities.

PS - not sure how you are handling enrollments but if you can change the teacher role to non-editing teacher role and assign them to the same group as the students that will also work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Sherwin

by Lazaros Sotiriadis -
Thank you both very much for the help, I think it is exactly what I am looking for.
Non editing teacher will be able to grade and view his/her own students without changing material

I ll have to make some tests to see it in action.

by Lazaros Sotiriadis -
Hi,

The site:accessallgroups role permission doesn't seem to work in my installation for some reason.
I have removed this permission from every role and I also removed the "course:managegroups" permission from ALL roles.

I have created two groups in a course and assigned non editing teacher role plus some students in each group by manually enrolement, puting each student and teacher in only one of the two groups but I can still see all participants enroled in the course no matter who I login as.

I have also verified the user's permissions by first login in as the user and then by checking access rights and can see that "site:accessallgroups" is not approved.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Regards Lazaros

by Lazaros Sotiriadis -
I have also set 'Separate groups mode' to the course with no effect.
Everyone is able to see participants.

There is also a course:viewparticipants /site:viewparticipants permission that I can use to limit but if I remove this one then no participants are shown. Otherwise the groups are not honored.

LS

Edit: I think I did something wrong there. I also granted /site:viewparticipants and /course:viewparticipants to the non editing teacher and it now works. So Case closed!
In reply to Dave Sherwin

by Bob Brown -

We have a similar but distinct situation-

We have one course, 40 students and 12 teachers.  Each teacher will teach only a few sections and should not see notifications from sections in which they are not teaching.  Setting up groups where faculty see only their sections is what we can do but is there a simpler way if we're only talking about notifications?

Thanks and looking forward to your responses-