2500 concurrence Users

2500 concurrence Users

by Joaquin Pretell -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I have a request for my moodle site and im going to have 2500 concurrence Users for 5 Days.

My moodle site its on Azure and we never have this kind of concurrence before.

My DB and my Web page are in different VMs and their resources are:

Web: Standard D2 v2 (2 vcpus, 7 GiB memory)

DB: Standard F2 (2 vcpus, 4 GiB memory)

They run with Standard HDD Disk, i need to help to know how much i have to upgrade this machines or maybe get a load balancer for this requeriment.

I also want to know if its possible to only upgrade this machines for the 2500 concurrence and how much i have to upgrade?

Regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joaquin Pretell

Re: 2500 concurrence Users

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
How do you understand concurrent users? I have the feeling it is not what we mean this forum: https://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance_FAQ#How_do_you_define_.22concurrent_users.22.3F.

It is worth reading the performance documentation linked to the header of this forum and go through the recent discussions.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Joaquin Pretell -
Hello,
They will be active users, i didnt mean like i will have 2500 users and 1000 will be performing on the server.
I will have 2500 users performing loads on my server.

Regards

Correct. Large number of users do not load a Moodle server if they are not active. It is the number of active users which matters. At a first glance 1000 active users are a lot for a 2+2 vCPU / 7+4 GB RAM setup.

Noticed that you joined moodle.org 10 min before writing the original post and made a duplicate post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=392710 an hour later. You need to do some reading before discussing. I repeat: "It is worth reading the performance documentation linked to the header of this forum and go through the recent discussions."

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What are your 2500 concurrent users doing on Moodle?

That is a big number. If true (which you need to be sure about) your 'hardware' probably has little chance of working.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I deleted your identical post in a different forum.

Please do NOT make multiple postings for the same question wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by Joaquin Pretell -
Ok,
So I am in charge of the azure platform for my client, at first instance they use moodle for teaching to their users diferrent courses, they have like 300 concurrence users every month.
But this time they are expecting for 1 week almost 2500 concurrence users because they are going to teach at the same time in diferrent places and locations.

Like i told your friend i can upgrade the hardware from the machines i have or i can duplicate and make a load balancer for the requeriment.

I read the documentation and i found from it, another client use 6 (2 cpu, 4 ram) web server for 3000 concurrense users.
1. I want to know if i can do it with only the machine i have and how many hardware should i need to upgrade
2. I can replicate the machine and do the load balancer but i want to know if i can do it with the documentation i found or maybe i need less machines for it.

"they have like 300 concurrence users every month". I find it odd. Think of a pedestrian bridge. You want to know the maximum number of people, that can stand on it. Whether that happen daily of monthly or every year doesn't matter. That number of people must be able to stand on it at a given moment without collapsing the bridge. It is the equivalent number for Moodle, what we mean by concurrent users. Did you read the link I gave in my first reply?

I am afraid, I can not be more technical. No idea of Azure platform or other Microsoft products. Sorry.

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
User loads vary considerably, but assuming the shift from 300 to 2500 occurs as planned then you can maybe have a look at current CPU and memory utilisation and make a guestimate in terms of the affect of this increase. However, making that sort of guess on a platform like Azure probably isn't sensible. You might have 2 times the needed server capacity or less than half.

Can you set up a load balancer and web server images and be ready to "Azure Autoscale" more servers? I've done this on AWS and assume Azure can't be that much harder.

We have 4 front end servers (4 core 8GB ram) and 2 back end servers (6 core 12 GB ram). CRON is turned off on all front end web servers. Unique logged in users per month are probably 12,000 but the normal maximum current users (according to Google analytics) is under 1000.

Don't forget database and file iops may also become an issue. Each Moodle server has it's own file system for code, and we have a 3 database server cluster handling that side plus a very high spec NFS server managing writiable files.

Make sure you have good caching set up (we use 2 redis servers for fail over, but only 1 active at any given time).

I hope that helps - good architecture design will let you up (and down) scale according to students changing patterns.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)