Exception : Call to a member function summarise() on null

Exception : Call to a member function summarise() on null

Ulrike Albers -
Vastausten määrä: 8

Hello,

I should have posted an answer in this discussion, but it is closed.

We use Moodle 3.6; in a quiz, there is a problem with the statistics: we get the following error:

Exception : Call to a member function summarise() on null

The same error is displayed when one clicks on recalculate grades. It is possible that the teacher modified some question after a students' attempt (I wonder how, though, as Moodle usually prevents us from doing that). Is there a way to access the statistics?

Thank you in advance!

Arviointien keskiarvo: -
Vastaus Ulrike Albers

Re: Exception : Call to a member function summarise() on null

Tim Hunt -
Kuva: Core developers Kuva: Documentation writers Kuva: Particularly helpful Moodlers Kuva: Peer reviewers Kuva: Plugin developers
This looks like MDL-66095 (sorry, not fixed yet) although a temporary work-around was added in MDL-66115, so if you upgrade to the latest 3.6.x release, things should start working.

And, more generally, be very, very careful editing questions after students had attempted them.
Arviointien keskiarvo:Useful (2)
Vastaus Tim Hunt

Ulrike Albers -
Thank you very much for your answer Tim! I'm very sorry I forgot to subscribe to the discussion so I just saw it know. I will let teachers know.
Vastaus Tim Hunt

heli g -
We are experiencing this issue on 3.5, but cannot identify which files were modified in the MDL-6611 temporary work-around.
Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Vastaus heli g

Tim Hunt -
Kuva: Core developers Kuva: Documentation writers Kuva: Particularly helpful Moodlers Kuva: Peer reviewers Kuva: Plugin developers
That is the wrong issue number. The right issue number is in my post above.

And, the code change for that fix is https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/39260e3eadc71613320d80b99c3d4352b9994e48
Arviointien keskiarvo:Useful (1)
Vastaus Tim Hunt

heli g -
Thank you so much Tim - that fixed it. You really are amazing!
(Apologies for the typo in the post above, I was indeed looking at MDL-66115)
Vastaus heli g

heli g -
Just in case anyone else is as clueless as me, if you can't find a link to code updates in the tracker: Go to https://github.com/moodle/moodle and enter the issue number in the Search box. The link to the code change is under Commits.
It seems so obvious now, but not so much when I was panicking late last night... Thanks again for your prompt assistance Tim.
Vastaus heli g

heli g -
The issue was identified because forum posts were not being emailed. It has temporarily been resolved by disabling \core\task\legacy_plugin_cron_task - but what effect will this have on Quizzes or any other mods that may be using legacy cron?
Vastaus heli g

Tim Hunt -
To be honest, I don't remember exactly what the situation was in Moodle 3.5.

There was a big push to get all the legacy cron converted to use the new scheduled task system (MDL-61164). Some of that was done for 3.5, but some of it was not finished until 3.7 (See the linked issues.)
Arviointien keskiarvo:Useful (1)