Customizing Moodle for Visually Impaired Students

Customizing Moodle for Visually Impaired Students

by Namal Balasuriya -
Number of replies: 4

For my masters research I’ve customized the Moodle core to deliver the same learning content for visually impaired students with the support of NVDA (Non Visual Display Access) tool and my own custom written JS for rendering and understanding the HTML tags like <a>, <td>, <p>, <li> and etc.

I completed my research on 2D structures like paragraphs, lists, tables. But it is yet to be further enhanced to represent and read content in images and attachments (presentations, word, PDF).

If anyone interested I’d like to share my research experience with and looking forward to continue it to the next level. My main ambition is to do something valuable to the society.

For interested parties, I'll add the first 70 pages of my thesis to get some idea about the research.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Namal Balasuriya

Re: Customizing Moodle for Visually Impaired Students

by Christopher Shine -

Hi Namal,

I am interested in hearing more from you about what you have done to customize Moodle for Visually Impaired Students. Thank you for sharing the first 70 pages of your Dissertation. We are in the process of making all of our Moodle courses compliant with the WCAG 2.1 Standards for accessibility focusing on Levels A, and AA. Do you have any recommendations for me as I start this process? Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Chris

In reply to Christopher Shine

by Namal Balasuriya -

Hi Chris,

I am bit away from what I did during my master's research. I'll refresh what I did during the process and will give some idea on the process which I followed during this weekend or maybe early next week. Thank you very much for your interest in doing something valuable to the society. And I'll give my level best to accomplish that task.

Regards,

Namal

In reply to Namal Balasuriya

by Jeevanandam Jotheeswaran -

Dear Namal Balasuriya

We are working on this project with a broader aspect. Kindly contact me jeevanandam@amity.edu

In reply to Jeevanandam Jotheeswaran

by Namal Balasuriya -
Hi Jeevanandam,

I am bit away from what I did during my master's research. I'll refresh what I did during the process and will give some idea on the process which I followed during this weekend or maybe early next week. Thank you very much for your interest in doing something valuable to the society. And I'll give my level best to accomplish that task.

Regards,

Namal