New course format - dedicated chat

New course format - dedicated chat

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 3
Hi, I'm looking to get a new course format developed for our business, but I'm having trouble getting a coder.

What I need is for a standard topics format course to be modified so that we can create a course that has it's own chat instance asociated with it at all times, just like the news forum is currently. I need it arranged so that when the course is created, so is the chat room, and the layout of the main course page has the chat on one side of the page in a frame and the rest of the course (with only one colum of blocks) on the other.

Our plan is to tutor kids one to one so they would have their own course with their own chat room always open. Like a live hot-line to the tutor.

What I'm asking is:
  1. Has anyone had similar thoughts and/or had a go at creating something similar?
  2. Are there any coders out there with a knowledge of moodle course formats who would be prepared to take this on for a fee (moodle.com has drawn a blank)
  3. Could anyone knowledgeable provide some pointers as to what steps would need to be taken by a developer (who we will hire ASAP) in order to make such a course.
I need to get this done urgently, but sadly, I can only learn PHP so fast and have a day job too mixed

Thanks in advance for help

Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: New course format - dedicated chat

by Matt Gibson -
This course format is almost finished. If anyone would like the code patches, let me know.

Matt
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: New course format - dedicated chat

by daniel ginerman -
your idea seems to be very very interesting, matt...
perhaps it will resolve the situation i have provisionally resolved using a www.tag-board.com external "as chat" feature in some courses of EduPlanet.
can you guide me pls through this way?
thanx in advance,

daniEl