Can moodle support quiz with 600 concurrent users and 2000 concurrent users learning in other courses at the same times

Can moodle support quiz with 600 concurrent users and 2000 concurrent users learning in other courses at the same times

by Nawaphon K.bawon -
Number of replies: 6

We have installed moodle 3.6.5+ (Build: 20190725) with PHP Version 7.2.19 and Maria DB 10.1 on a virtual machine VMWare with the following configuration 

MoodleArch

Please recommend how to test performance or any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nawaphon K.bawon

Re: Can moodle support quiz with 600 concurrent users and 2000 concurrent users learning in other courses at the same times

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Short answer - probably not.

Slightly longer answer... those are huge numbers for *concurrency*. How did you calculate them? What do you understand by "concurrency"?

Your web servers are, by today's standards, very small. There's no great benefit of going to all the trouble of load-balancing if you are then going to use tiny machines. You also don't mention what you are using for the (shared) file storage and you don't mention what you are using for caching (effectively mandatory on a load-balanced system).
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Can moodle support quiz with 600 concurrent users and 2000 concurrent users learning in other courses at the same times

by Nawaphon K.bawon -
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Nawaphon

I am of the same opinion as Howard. Quiz with 600 concurrent users and 2000 other aktive users are a heavy load. Independently of how many virtual machines you put together their total power is never more than the power of the engine pulls them all, meaning the hardware. In fact they are less. Firstly because of the additional layer of virtualization. Secondly the overhead needed to join the machines together - clustering I mean.

That is in general. Specifically to your case 2 core / 4 GB RAM machines are small! OK, yourDB server has 12 GB. But for the DB the disk I/O is the critical parameter. And then the NFS for moodledata? It is good for big, slow files. But not for what Moodle demands from its moodledata.

I repeat what I always say here: Those 2600 users won't start batting from one day to the other. Start with a good state-of-the-art dedicated machine. Put lot of RAM, get a very good disk and start as a single server. Do a good installation, Linux is good, try Nginx and PostgreSQL. Closely monitor the demand on the machine, tune and upgrade as needed. If you have a simple installation, you won't be reluctant to change it. Contrary to the common belief here, migrating Moodle is simple, unless you are entangled in a complicated architecture.

I noticed that you are a veteran from Moodle 1.4 times. Well that is a plus and a minus. The power demand of Moodle has exploded since then! (Well, it does a whole lot more. ;)) Read the performance recommendations linked in the header of this forum. Read/search past discussion. Here are some recent and related ones:

- Moodle 3.7 Quiz for 15000 concurrent users via Mobile App? Is it possible?

- I/O File Performance

- Hardware /performance suggestion

- Help! Database server CPU maxed out

and many more.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Nawaphon K.bawon -
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

It is always difficult to convey the full message in a forum posting (for fun). I do not say, clustering is not needed. The message is to grow with the needs of your site. But finally it is your decision and responsibility. My free advice is free of any responsibility.
wink

If there are new developments or updates please do report here. There are always other who read these discussions for advice. And, if any post was useful to you, please rate the post as such. The drop-down is
| here
v
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Nawaphon K.bawon -
I'm sorry for the short reply, as I am not a hardware administrator, currently I am letting the system administrator study the information you have suggested. And is currently in the system testing phase. If the tests are completed successfully, We will share them further.