Upgrade to 1.6 success/failure stories

Upgrade to 1.6 success/failure stories

by Pieterjan Heyse -
Number of replies: 11
I tried upgrading our production database again today, from 1.5.3+ to 1.6dev (updated today) and it failed.

Is it useful to report this right now, or should I wait until a certain point in time where someone says 'folks, test the update code please' ? I suppose all these reports should go in the bug tracker?

btw, did you think about an upgrade script that can be run from command line?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pieterjan Heyse

Re: Upgrade to 1.6 success/failure stories

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Please report, but work only with last minute code.
Check the bugtracker first for already reported bugs. There are still a few issues to solve.

The command line script is still in planning phase.

And please, no production servers...

Thanks for helping to test.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Pieterjan Heyse -
Okiedokie, I won't upgrade production to 1.6 until august/september, but I use a copy for testing. That wasn't very clear.

by Grigory Rubtsov -
I have upgraded successfully to UTF-8 except bug #5194 . I am using Russian language and all varchar() fields become cut twice of it's maximum allowable size. E.g. course shortname became cut to 7 character, user lastname became cut to 10 characters.

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Pieterjan,

Our upgrade went well, although it took an hour to convert the material in the database. We also upgraded mysql and php to more up-to-date versions. We will be upgrading regularly to newer versions to follow the developments.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Paul,
Can you please send the specs of your server and moodle installation?
We are trying to get some performance information on the migration process.
  • the number of processors and speed
  • the disk system (SATA, RAID5 with SATA, SCSI, ...)
  • number of records in the database
  • size of the database
  • (with utf8dbmigrate.php from 25/2 at least)
Thanks a lot

Vast: Re: Upgrade to 1.6 success/failure stories

by Petri Niemi -
Hi Koen

I work in the same place with Paul and we have...

- Windows XP pro
- Apache 2.0.55
- PHP 5.0.4
- MySQL 5.0.18
- Moodle 1.6
- 2,4 GHz Pentium
- 512 MB RAM
- 40 GB IDE hard disk divined in two parts. (Moodle's section is 28 GB)
- Moodle's database is 225 MB and includes 2382 users

This test Moodle is cloned from our production moodle few month ago.

What did you meaned at "(with utf8dbmigrate.php from 25/2 at least)"?
In reply to Petri Niemi

Re: Vast: Re: Upgrade to 1.6 success/failure stories

by koen roggemans -
Hi Pietry, thank you for the reply

What did you meaned at "(with utf8dbmigrate.php from 25/2 at least)"?
I meant the date (version) of the migration script

Do you have an idea of the number of records in the database (you can find that with phpmyadmin - it's on the opening page of the database)?

Vast: Re: Vast: Re: Upgrade to 1.6 success/failure stories

by Petri Niemi -
I have no idea about the version of migration script because I couldn't find version information from utfdbmigrate.php which was inlcuded in Moodle 1.6 dev (downloaded 22.2.2006 around 0600GMT).

Our database have:

1 673 333 Rows and
241 Tables

Feel free to ask if you need to know something more =)

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I recently tried an upgrade on my WinXP Pro, PHP 5.1.2, MySQL 5.0.19, Apache 2.0.55 and used a backup of my production Moodle 1.5.3+ installation. The installation and upgrade itself went fine; however, the utf migration caused a bunch of  (A carots) to appear in my assignment_submissions (data1) and forum_posts (message) tables. I've submitted Bug #5055 to see what the source of the error might be - any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We need to know as much detail as you can provide about your Moodle config. What languages were you using? Do you have the iconv module installed? Was it only those tables?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The collation on the database was latin1_swedish_ci and my language in 1.6 was set to English.

After the utf migration it suggested that I install en_us_utf8, fr_utf8, it_utf8, vi_utf8, fa_utf8. I suspect I have some users using those languages but the text that was modified was all in English.

If you would like I could try to create a small sql backup for debugging purposes. Please let me know whatever other information you might need.

Peace-Anthony

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas - Monday, 3 April 2006, 04:03 PM)