Why do some Quiz question fit text on one line and others not.

Why do some Quiz question fit text on one line and others not.

by Mark Jones -
Number of replies: 5

Fellow Moodlers, good morning.

I'm currently working on a course relating to Sepsis, and its early detection in both children and adults.  

Upon creating the questions in the bank, along with a category everything appeared to look fine.  I've created 10 multiple choice questions and to my knowledge set them all up correctly.  Keeping it very simple. 

I'm using Web Browser Google Chrome (latest edition) & Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit.

The issue I am having is that some questions text when being reviewed as a learner and as part of the quiz, are being spread over two lines whilst for the most part everything else is fitting on one even though the lines are rather short.  

I wondered if you could advise me of where I am going wrong and how to fix it please.  Images attached to aid understanding. 

Quiz Questions - Why are some on one line whilst others are on two lines.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Jones

Re: Why do some Quiz question fit text on one line and others not.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Did you paste in some of the text rater than type it in. If so try creating a new duplicate question but type in the text rather than paste it in and see if the issue goes away. Post here if that fixes it
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mark Jones

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You have provided an image of how these questions are shown.  Consider opening two browsers, and comparing these two questions, side by side,  when editing them from the question bank.  Give us screenshots.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You may want to take a look at the HTML code of the choices. To do this, edit your multiple-choice question and scroll to Choice 1, Choice 2, etc., in the Answers section. Assuming you are using the Atto HTML editor, click the "Show more buttons - Show/hide advanced buttons" button, then click the "HTML" button.

The text of the answer is enclosed by either <p></p>, <span></span>, <div></div> or some other tags, or no tags. Depending on the specific CSS on your site, these tags may or may not be appropriate here. Normally, <p></p>, <span></span> or no tags should work.

Examine the HTML code of the choices that are displayed correctly and use the same tags, or no tags, for the other choices.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dominique's answer expands on the idea behind mine.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Marcus,

Absolutely! Probably for the sake of brevity, I failed to start my message by saying that I was just expanding on your idea.

Your answer was appropriate and excellent. I guess you were trying to make things simple for Mark. My goal was simply to give additional information that could also help other users.

(Public domain)

Despite his popular success, Bierstadt was criticized by some contemporaries for the romanticism evident in his choices of subject and his use of light was felt to be excessive. In later life, Bierstadt's work fell increasingly out of critical favor. It was attacked for its theatrical tone. In 1882, a fire destroyed Bierstadt's studio at Irvington, New York, and with it many of his paintings. By the time of his death on February 18, 1902, the taste for epic landscape painting had long since subsided. Bierstadt was then largely forgotten. He was buried at the Rural Cemetery in New Bedford, Massachusetts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Bierstadt)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)