I'm using Moodle 3.5.
I have used the essay question type very rarely but now I have a learning setting where I might need it with particular requirements:
- Learners have to manipulate an external platform (a network of hosts, firewalls and proxys, etc.) and find specific information about its architecture. The focus is not in the solution itself (it might change depending on when the test is taken) but on the steps taken.
- Learners can open hints that help them solve the problem.
- Learners have to enter in the quiz the outcome as the answer and are allowed to see the correct answer immediately after that. The correct answers is a description of the steps and it will confirm students if they have tackled the problem correctly.
Since the test shouldn't check if the answer is right or wrong, I thought the essay question would be the most appropriate one. But it doesn't contain the "Multiple tries" field, which is a fundamental feature for this practice task. The H5P essay question type would be the ideal solution, but it is not yet included in the Quiz activity and I wouldn't like to create 10 or more single activities but rather integrate them into a quiz.
To sum up: does anyone know the best type to design this type of quiz?
- Learners enter an answer. The correctness of the answer is not checked.
- Learners can see hints to get to the solution.
- After submitting the answer, learners are presented with a proposed model answer, consisting of a description of the steps.