Moodle 3.7, utf8 vs utf8mb4, and other conundrums

Re: Moodle 3.7, utf8 vs utf8mb4, and other conundrums

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Elizabeth, I now see that you said you did not use Softaculous. The reason I was asking is that when I install moodle on my hosted server, I get "red" checks, and I cannot go any further. But you seem to have similar problems, but you get "orange" checks, and seem to go a little further than I. So this is puzzling.

After you get your "other checks" web page, are you able to click on "continue" or is this as far as you go?

Also, up above, you say that when you go to phpMyAdmin, that you DO NOT see a database. Is this still true?
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Moodle 3.7, utf8 vs utf8mb4, and other conundrums

by Elizabeth Harden -

Rick,

Correct, I didn't use Softaculous. I did my own install.

You wrote "I get 'red' checks, and I cannot go any further.... (Y)ou get 'orange' checks, and seem to go a little further than i. After you get your "other checks" web page, are you able to click on 'continue' or is this as far as you go?"

To be clear, I have Moodle installed and it seems perfectly functional. I've created users, created categories, and created courses. I've installed a few plugins and a few themes. These all seem to work perfectly. I did initially have a few other warning messages -- about my php.ini, cron, and permissions, etc. I was able to address all of these on my own.

Once I found the orange "checks" about utf8 and Antelope, I tried entering an emoticon in a message text . One time I got a warning that I might lose all of my text but I tried a different time and didn't get the warning. So at least if a user tried to use an emoticon, they might get a warning before they lose everything they typed.

I have not run into any other issues. This is why I'm trying to get clarification on the limits I'll hit on Antelope -- before I invest any more time and energy learning Moodle and setting up a course. I'm talking about technical limitations. Just as the utf8 is a technical limitation. Are there any? What is it that Barracuda offers/affords in Moodle that Antelope doesn't?

I understand that I may well hit the limits of my current hosting plan. I was prepared for that. During the set up it was clear how much larger and complex Moodle is than WP and therefore one would assume a larger drain on resources, even when empty. The fact that Moodle wanted an every-minute cron job whereas SiteGround recommends nothing more frequent than every 30 mins -- that was a clue, too. wink

I greatly appreciate your on-going efforts to help me.