Course edit functions work in ONLY in Buttons format

Course edit functions work in ONLY in Buttons format

by Elizabeth Harden -
Number of replies: 2

Using Moodle 3.7.2 (Build: 20190909)

Hosted on SiteGround

Plugins added: Grid Format, Buttons Format, Moove theme (not activated), H5P, Level Up! 

This is a fairly new installation and I'm trying to get my feet under me and I'm utterly baffled. Near to tears tonight so any help would be most appreciated.

As you can see from the images I've shared, in the same course with editing turned on, the only course format in which I can do anything -- create content, edit section names, add an activity or resource, is the Buttons format. If I leave all the settings alone and only change the course format, all of the editing functions disappear.

Before I added the Buttons format plugin, the Topics format did work. I didn't try any others before adding Buttons so I can't speak to them. I've tried deactivating the Buttons format but that didn't fix the issue. I've tried changing the default format to no effect. The one thing I haven't done is uninstall the Buttons format.

I've checked everything I can think of in my settings, permissions, etc. I've checked my reports and notifications for error messages, etc. Everything.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Attachment screenshot_789.png
Attachment screenshot_790.png
Attachment screenshot_792.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elizabeth Harden

Re: Course edit functions work in ONLY in Buttons format

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This sort of thing is usually caused by some broken Javascript on the page.

Open your web server's Javascript console and refresh the (bad) page. Do you get red error messages in the console?
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Course edit functions work in ONLY in Buttons format

by Elizabeth Harden -

Thank you, Howard.

Apparently it was an issue with the Buttons Format plugin. I know this because they released an update this morning. I was poking around trying to find Javascript errors and getting nowhere so I decided to take a break and update the Buttons plugin. As so as I did that, voila! - everything is fixed! All of the various course formats now work again.