How can I add a live event to a Moodle course? What activity or resource?

How can I add a live event to a Moodle course? What activity or resource?

by Stefan Krueger -
Number of replies: 7

I'm designing an online course which is mostly asynchronous, but we want to have a handful of synchronous video sessions (over Zoom).  I'm looking for a simple way to add these live events to the course page.  We don't need any sort of booking system; we just need a way to have the event time and location shown inside the component, and for it to populate the calendar.  It's important that the component is shown on the course page, so I don't want to simply create a calendar event. 

I've scoured the list of activity plugins that would accomplish this in a simple way, but haven't found a solution.  As mentioned, no booking system or slots are needed.

Does anyone have advice on what plugin would help in this situation? 

Thanks in advance!

(Note: I'm aware that there is a Zoom plugin, but we don't want to use it because it only allows you to create new Zoom sessions from within Moodle, which we don't want to do.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Krueger

Re: How can I add a live event to a Moodle course? What activity or resource?

by Elizabeth Harden -
I'm brand new to Moodle so please forgive me if I'm way off base.

My method would require you to add the Zoom sessions to your course page and to your calendar separately but it gets the job done.

To add the Zoom event to your course, create a new "label" Resource. In the body, type "Zoom Session" (or whatever) and make this a heading with bold font to make it stand out. Then add the Zoom meeting URL as a link and set the link to open in a new window. You can add additional instructions or text as you wish to the label.

Then create a new calendar event and do pretty much the same thing -- add the meeting URL as a link and check the "new window" box.

This idea was inspired by a YouTube video I watched earlier tonight:
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elizabeth Harden

by Stefan Schoch -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I'm intereseted in the YouTube Video, but it doesn't work (at least for me, I just see a black screen).
Could you please provide the link?
In reply to Stefan Schoch

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Youtube linking seems broken.
Search youtube for (just passing I know nothing about it)

Moodle 2019-Make your design and layout more professional

In reply to Stefan Schoch

by Elizabeth Harden -

I got an error message when I posted the original link to the YouTube video. Maybe I did it wrong. I'll try again below. 

edited:

Nope, that didn't work either. I'll post the link as plain text. Copy & paste into your browser.

edited again:

It won't leave it as plain text and the link doesn't work. Maybe search for Russell Stannard "Moodle 2019-Make your design and layout more professional"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As an aside, I also tried the Youtube linking and it didn't work. I think it might be related to this MDL-66795

by Stefan Krueger -
Thanks Elizabeth! That's pretty close to the solution I had arrived at as well. We're using a tile based layout so I put the Zoom link inside a page, but otherwise I'm doing exactly what you suggested, and manually adding the calendar event that also includes the meeting URL.

This link will still need to refreshed every term, so ideally, we could change the link and time in one location, and have it automatically change the calendar event as well, mainly to reduce the chance of error (e.g. giving different times or links in the page vs. calendar).

Even so, your solution is very workable, and it's validating to hear that others have done it this way. Thanks for your response.
In reply to Stefan Krueger

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can use standard assignment type for this. Put link in description, set start and end time to show on calendar, and uncheck all submission types so there is no submit button.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)