Deleting Courses Takes More Space Instead of Freeing Space

Deleting Courses Takes More Space Instead of Freeing Space

by Benjamin Elliot -
Number of replies: 3

We've had Moodle since 2005, and I feel very confident with it. However, we've now come to a point where we need to free up some disk space and delete some old courses. First, I identified some of the largest courses by using the course sizes report, which I know isn't completely accurate because it says we have almost 1TB of course data, when I know the number is closer to 500GB, at least in moodledata (and the db is less than 30GB). That said, I went ahead and deleted about 75GB worth of courses according to that report, and it actually cost an additional 13GB of space in moodledata. I've looked for solutions to this problem, and found two posts referring to it clearing up after four days or several days, but I've waited a full week, and still don't see significant space freed up. Meanwhile, our Moodle site is still in use, and my free space is growing smaller everyday. (I also tried using Moosh on my dev system, as suggested in some posts, but the results were the same.) As I said, it's been a week since I deleted the courses, and I still have less space than I would have if I had not deleted the courses at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Running Moodle 3.5.4 on Ubuntu 18.04 (separate database and web front end servers)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benjamin Elliot

Re: Deleting Courses Takes More Space Instead of Freeing Space

by Benjamin Elliot -
I forgot to mention a few things. I have cron running regularly (every 10 minutes), and there are no errors. I also did empty the moodledata trashdir multiple times, although I have seen that it does empty itself over time via cron. It is a fairly standard install running the More theme with some custom colors and logo.

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Eliminate automatic course backups. That will consume a lot of space outside of actual courses. Also, use ubuntu to check accurately for which folder is consuming the most amount of space in Moodledata and work from there to identify the issue. Are you for certain it is moodledata and not some other area of the server?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Benjamin Elliot -
Never mind. It turned out to be the recycle bin. My system just moved 38GB to the trashdir, but it was a little longer than a week. I've turned off the category recycle bin for now, while I continue deleting old courses. Thanks to everyone who took a look.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)