Importing one course in to another: Is it possible to append the target?

Importing one course in to another: Is it possible to append the target?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi all

I started "import" in one course (the target course), selected the source course and marched through the steps. I was looking for an "append" option, which I didn't see. At the end the activities of the source course appear in the same numbered topics of the target course, thereby expanding sections.

A teacher is looking for an "append" option - expecting the topic 1 of source course to be the last+1 topic of the target course and so on. Is that possible?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Importing one course in to another: Is it possible to append the target?

Ping!

In fact I found this to be a common work flow. Teachers (with more rights) keep "repositories" in Moodle itself in the form of hidden courses. When a new course is required they join them in to one, in a target course. Just like working with word processing documents in one's local computer, with the difference that these "repositories" may be in the region of Giga Bytes!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Importing one course in to another: Is it possible to append the target?

Hi all

From the long silence I deduce that the answer to the original quesstion, "A teacher is looking for an "append" option - expecting the topic 1 of source course to be the last+1 topic of the target course and so on. Is that possible?" is No.

I would like to know whether anybody has experience with the work-flow I described in my previous post. It scares me as the system administrator. The "repository courses" I am talking of could be 1 GB and upwards! Can Moodle really import such big courses? Could crashed (mutliple) tries to import swell the filedir?