dfwiki: Selected HTML editor doesn't stay

dfwiki: Selected HTML editor doesn't stay

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 5
I don't know whether this is a bug or I'm doing something wrong. When I create a dfwiki activity I'm given the choice of selecting the preferred editor. I select 'HTML Editor', but when students access the wiki they see a different editor. This confuses some of them because they don't have all the editing options they are used to when working in Moodle.

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: dfwiki: Selected HTML editor doesn't stay

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Oh,
the old wiki let's you choose only one editor to work. Dfwiki since oct'05 let you choose which editor want to use. I supose that by default allways the dfwiki editor is selected. I guess that the defeult editor shuld be the selected by the teacher.
Bug noted
Gracies Josep Maria!
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Josep M. Fontana -
Yes, exactly. I guess it wasn't a bug, then. It was intended to be like that. At any rate, I think it is better if the teacher can choose the default editor. The students can always choose to change it later on if they want. But this way you can avoid confusions like the ones my students have. Think that Moodle is used in all kinds of environments: even in primary schools. So the possibility to maintain a familiar environment is always desirable in some contexts. The teacher can judge whether with his or her group of students the dfwiki editor is more desirable as the default editor.

Josep M.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by John DeBruyn -

Hi Ludo:

Thanks for all that you and your team are doing with dfwiki.

The words "Change to one of the following editors" tells the new user to change to an editor other than the default editor.  As this works now, the choice cannot be changed once selected.

In order to avoid this confusion, the teacher should be able to make the default editor the only choice.

In the meantime, the option "Change to one of the following editors" could be moved down below the buttons: save, preview, cancel.

That way new users will be more likely to use the default editor and not lock themselves into one of the other options.

Again thanks for all that you are doing,

John

In reply to John DeBruyn

by Stuart Anderson -
I agree. I would REALLY like to be able to force my students to use a particular editor. In my case I want to force the dfwiki editor rather than allowing users to choose the HTML editor. One of the key things about a wiki is that the markup is simple so that you are encouraged to concentrate on content rather than spending time of pretty colours and presentation.

May be what is needed is a check box in the wiki settings next to "preferred editor" which says "Force preferred editor"? Or will this just overload the settings page with more options?

--Stuart.