Change the admin signature

Change the admin signature

by Stéphane BERR -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

When trying Moodle, I've let Admin User as first and last names blush

I've created an other admin account with my real identity, set my role to admin and deleted the very fisrt account.

The problem is that all "system messages", like the one we receive when we have lost our password, are still signed with Admin User.

Probably a cache problem, but how can I fix it, please ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Stéphane

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stéphane BERR

Re: Change the admin signature

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You should not have deleted the first account, you should have just edited it  - you might try changing your account id number to 2 and see if that resolves anything.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Stéphane BERR -
Thanks for this answer, Emma.

Even if I don't like working directly on the database, I've tried it on a test version. It doesn't work...

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Stéphane - go to Site Admin > Server > Support Contact and edit the details on that page smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Stéphane BERR -
Here is the right place to change this signature. Thanks Jon !
Be aware of not leting the default signature (the box is empty, then) : the system won't sign with the default signature the interface indicates.
To get your signature at the end of system messages, you have to write it enterely...
Hope it can help in return sourire

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You should have more than one account set to admin levels.

If you deleted the original admin account that was created when moodle
was first installed via the Moodle interface, in mdl_user table ID 2 row is
probably still there.  And the values have been obscured in such a fashion
as to render it's use in Moodle void.

A query of DB mdl_user table for id 2

mysql> select id,username,firstname,lastname,email,password from mdl_user where id=2;

might show something like this:
Column headings ...
| id | username | firstname | lastname | email | password

Data
| 2 | theemailaddressforadminuser.1534812386            | Admin    | User | ffc433b7f72fbaed5769cbb5c7dfefed | $2y$10$BPs1o32yWxQDBXd8RgH9ksNLaJ

Moodle UX delete has obscured/changed column info but row ID 2 is still there.  The .1534812386 added above is an epoch time stamp of when the account was changed.

To recover one would need to edit values in that row to make user id 2 visiable again in Moodle.

So the example row above would read:

| 2 | admin | Admin    | User | adminaddy@somenet.net |

The password, I think, hasn't been altered so one could leave that and other columns alone.
If password has been altered one could cheat ... see password cheat below.

If you have PHPMyAdmin, one could edit row ID 2.

If one had only mysql client (cli) one could also edit/change via update command.
http://www.mysqltutorial.org/php-mysql-update-data/

Password cheat ... find the password for a known account ... like the new admin user you created ...
query for:

mysql> select id,username,firstname,lastname,email,password from mdl_user where username='newadminuser';

You replace 'newadminuser' above with whatever username you used.

Copy the password to a text file on local system ... you will use it in editing row ID 2.   You then know that password and should be able to use with user ID 2.

'SoS', Ken