Posts not showing as "Read" in Read Tracking for Single Simple Discussions in Moodle 3.7.2+

Posts not showing as "Read" in Read Tracking for Single Simple Discussions in Moodle 3.7.2+

by Kevin Zimmerman -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Moodlers!

I have one teacher on my Moodle site using single simple discussions for a few of his forums. His students are participating and he can see how many unread posts are there, so read tracking is functioning. However, the read tracking won't reset after looking into the forum. Even his own posts show as "Unread" and only are removed after the timeframe for unread posts expires.

Ratings and grading are turned off for this forum - the teacher just wants to see which posts are new so he can reply if appropriate.

Has anybody else experienced this same issue in Moodle 3.7? There are certainly some workarounds, like using notification e-mails for those forums, but I'm wondering if the read tracking issue is something that can be fixed.

Thanks! (And thanks for all of the wonderful conversations on this site! I've found so many answers in other people's conversations in these forums in the past.)

Kevin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Zimmerman

Re: Posts not showing as "Read" in Read Tracking for Single Simple Discussions in Moodle 3.7.2+

by Nigel Robertson -
Hi Kevin

Did you get a resolution for this? We are starting to get calls from staff about this issue. We are on 3.7.1.
In reply to Nigel Robertson

Re: Posts not showing as "Read" in Read Tracking for Single Simple Discussions in Moodle 3.7.2+

by Ray Hinton -
It's quite possible you've both checked this, but I'll ask just in case: do you have "Manual message read marking" enabled? That setting is at Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Forum.

I know that the Forum module is undergoing some work in 3.7 and 3.8, so some small oddities are popping up here and there.
In reply to Ray Hinton

by Nigel Robertson -
Manual message read marking is set at "No" for us.

I've found that switching to threaded view, then clicking on a single post, then going out of the forum and back in marks all the posts as read.