TeX in Answers for different question types - 3.7

TeX in Answers for different question types - 3.7

by Stefan Waldhauser -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, I’m a math teacher and want to build a variety of exercises for quizzes using the different question types. However, I just realized that I cannot use TeX in the answers to the questions. How can I manage to use TeX not only in the questions but also in the answers?

Or are there any other (free and easy to use) plugins that I could use instead?

I already tried this in „Admin→Appearance→Additional HTML“ but it didn’t work.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML"> </script>

Moodle 3.7, MathJax and TeX-Notation are active

Thanks in advance, 

Stefan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Waldhauser

Re: TeX in Answers for different question types - 3.7

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You don't need to do things like that. You just need to enable the MathJax filter https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/MathJax_filter
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Stefan Waldhauser -
Thank you for your quick response. The filter was already enabled. 

Whenever I use LaTex in the answer field, it doesn't work (see the drag-and-drop answers), however, in the question field it does (a/b). See the attached image. 

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A little laborious but feasible:

Formulas_20191002_0027.png
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

With the exception of the multiple choice question type, TeX (LaTeX) code can not be inserted in the answers. Just for the record, I thought that one way around this problem would be to use the drag and drop onto image question type, with TeX images as draggable items. This procedure does work, but aside from being somewhat lengthy, the images get shrunk unless the equations are very short. So the result is far from being satisfactory and I would not recommend this workaround, except perhaps for very short answer equations.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Actually this could easily be done using Drag-and-Drop Matching question type. It works very well with either the MathJax or TeX notation filters.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)