How teacher can be a course creator

How teacher can be a course creator

by Nidhi Tiwari -
Number of replies: 11

Hi ,

I want the teacher to create course and when he login in he will see the course create link on the dashboard. Please guide me how I can do this.

Thanks,

Nidhi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

Re: How teacher can be a course creator

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Nidhi,

You can do that following the instructions here: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Course_creator_role which show you how to add someone to the system Course Creator role.

There is no automatic link on the Dashboard for such a role to create courses, but you can make one:

- Add the Courses block to the Dashboard for them, then when they click the "All courses" link at the bottom of the block, the next page will have a "Add new course button" on it.

- Or you can add a simple HTML block and in it put a link that loads that same page, which will look like this: http://yourmoodlesite.com/course/index.php where the button is, where you put in the correct url to your site, of course.

Also, if you are using Boost or any Boost child theme, then in the NavDrawer on the left, the Site administration link will automatically show up and the course creator user can use that to arrive at the same page. It does take more clicks to do than the first two ways.

Attached is a screenshot of what the Course Creator sees from either of the first two ways.

Randy

Attachment screenshot_5341.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Randy,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Its extremely helpful for me.

I have a doubt, in my signup form I have provided the facility to user to choose a role (Student/teacher ) .How can I assign teacher role to the user. I have used below code but its not working. teacher role is site wise for all courses.

$context = context_system::instance();
            $PAGE->set_context($context);           
            //Assign role
            role_assign($roleid, $user->id, $context->id);

God bless you. Thanks smile

In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Nidhi,

If you are trying to assign them to the regular teacher role (that is editingteacher), that will not work, because that role is only able to be assigned in the Course and Activity contexts, not at the System context. Take a look in Users > Permissions > Define roles and you will see that "Context types where this role may be assigned" are set that way. This is where that is defined.

The way to achieve what you want (I think smile is to add the system context to the default teacher role. I am not sure that is what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps a new system level role would be better, but in either case, the context is defined in those settings for each role.

Randy
In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by David Morrow -
Nidhi,

If you have the option of installing new themes, the Fordson theme gives the option of a "Create a course" button on the site home page that is only visible to those who have the course creator role as Randy described.

create a course button

If you use LDAP authentication, you can possible automate the assigning of that role with the "Course creator - teacher context" LDAP setting:

Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > LDAP server. Then - on that page - System Role Mapping and the Course creator - teacher context setting.

I got the appropriate LDAP context from our email administrator, entered them in that setting, and it just worked (I am not a technician...). Only teachers see the button and they are automatically given the teacher role. We have a user tour that walks them through the main steps.

The button shows on the home page and not the dashboard. The developer is very interested in usability - consider suggesting that for future versions.

All the best,

David
In reply to David Morrow

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I will follow the instructions given by you, hope I will able to archive the target smile

Thanks a lot

In reply to David Morrow

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi David,

You made my day. You have suggested an extremely customizable theme.

God bless you. Thanks a lot smile

In reply to David Morrow

by Nidhi Tiwari -
Hi David,
I am facing an issue that my teacher and admin also are not able to see add an activity optin while creating or editing the course, even turn editing is on. It was working properly I am not sure it's due to this theme misconfiguration did by me. I have added context as a system while setting up this theme. Please guide me what I should do.
In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello NIdhi - I haven't read all this thread so apologies if I misunderstood but it is possible your problem is related to a current bug with 3.7.2 where course creators cannot edit the courses they created - perhaps someone else on this thread can give more detail as I am off my computer at the moment MDL-66683
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Mary,

Please help me, I got stuck, the teacher is not able to the created course.

In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by David Morrow -
Nidhi,

Please read Mary's response. If your Moodle is version 3.7.2, what she describes may be the problem. We are on 3.7.1, and so have, apparently, not been affected.

David
In reply to David Morrow

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Mary/David,

Thanks for your response. I have fixed my problem:

1. Reset the role

2. Again apply the permissions for course creation.

3. Clear cache

This is strange in Moodle , some times roles stop working according to permissions and its really tough to find out the reason behind this. Now new teachers are working fine but old have still issue. As my system is in development mode so I can manage this.

Thanks, Guys smile