Handling a theme with theme_bootstrapbase as parent

Handling a theme with theme_bootstrapbase as parent

by Josiah Carberry -
Number of replies: 15

I am using a theme, decaf, which apparently uses the parent theme theme_bootstrapbase. But, as theme_bootstrapbase support is discontinued, and consequently I cannot upgrade to Moodle 3.7, how does this need to be handled?

Do I have to wait for the maintainers of decaf to do major surgery on the theme so that it can be used in newer Moodle versions?

Or is there something I can do to change the parent theme of decaf?

Or am going to have to bite the bullet and find a different theme before upgrading to Moodle 3.7?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josiah Carberry

Re: Handling a theme with theme_bootstrapbase as parent

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Josiah,

Have you asked Paul (https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_decaf) if there will be a version for M3.7?
Or you could attempt to port the bootstrapbase theme from M3.6 to M3.7, I think others have done so.
Or look for another theme.

Kind regards,

Gareth
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Josiah Carberry -

If others have ported bootstrapbase to Moodle 3.7, have you any idea where I might find a copy of that?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Only a reply to the Essential theme somewhere on this forum would be the person to contact.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I may be able to get you a copy if I still have Moodle 3.6 on my Computer.

At the moment Im using a Mac so not sure how to save as a ZIP file yet...just learning.

Cheers
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Josiah Carberry -

Thanks, Mary. I already have version 2018120300 of bootstrapbase. I am looking for a version updated so that it can work with Moodle 3.7, acting as a parent to another theme.

If you have such a version, I would much appreciate getting a copy. Don't worry about the archive format. I can convert most anything to zip, should need be.

by Gareth J Barnard -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Gareth,
I thought you would have known where the Bootstrapbase theme can be syphoned from in Moodle, similar to Base theme when we needed it after it was removed in the previous Moodle 2.0+ themes after moving to 3.0+

Cheers
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Yes I do, but could not remember if it needed changing or not for M3.7.

by Mary Evans -
Ive been playing with both MOODLE 3.7 & BOOTSTRAPBASE (from 3.6) together with DECAF theme, and to my surprise they seem to be working in unison.

Im just adding the Decaf  theme to my site now and will leave a link so that you can see the result.
Cheers
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Josiah Carberry -
OK - so assuming bootstrapbase and decaf can indeed be used with 3.7, my question becomes instead how to handle the failed dependency when you try to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7.2+
Both bootstrapbase and decaf are installed, but when I try to do the upgrade the program indicates that the dependency of decaf on boostrapbase fails, and so it refuses to perform the database upgrade.
I recognize that this might be more of an upgrade forum question than a theme question, which is why I had put my question in the upgrade part in the first place.

by Mary Evans -
Hi,
The fact that they are not recognised in the upgrade is because they do not exist in Moodle 3.7 coding.
The trick is to replace the two themes after you have Moodle 3.7 up and running. This will require you to change the theme to Boost theme prior to updating, and remove the Decaf theme. I 
Once updated and the old themes added back, you can then revert back to Decaf which will run as normal (I hope), but may need some tweaking in places like the Login page.
Hope this helps?
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Josiah Carberry -

Yes, I understand. Whether it makes sense for an upgrade procedure to reject a configuration that nonetheless works is another question. Too, I guess that means that the same process of changing to a supported theme, deleting decaf, doing the upgrade, then restoring decaf, would have to be done for every upgrade. I do hope the maintainer of decaf will see fit to adapt it to work more transparently with the current version of Moodle.

by Mary Evans -

Hi, I think you are missing the point here. Because BootstrapBase has been depreciated that does NOT mean you cannot upload it in Moodle 3.7+version.

Once added you will be able to upgrade your Moodle without needing to add decaf and bootstrapbase again.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Mary