Is there a way to disable the dashboard entirely? [3.7]

Is there a way to disable the dashboard entirely? [3.7]

by tim st.clair -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers

I have a client who don't use the dashboard at all - users and their enrolments are synchronised and managed through an external system, and they have a custom moodle front page. The They would like the link removed in the side menu, the breadcrumb bar, and other places it gets linked from. The theme is boost_campus and I also have the boost navigation fumbling plugin (which works for me in 3.7, can't recall if I had to do anything to it) on there because it lets you remove the menu item for it - just not the other various links to dashboard. I can see there's the capability  to prevent users from adding blocks to a dashboard which is currently unticked for the authenticated user role.  But there's no setting or switch I can find to block the dashboard altogether. Is it possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to tim st.clair

Re: Is there a way to disable the dashboard entirely? [3.7]

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
If only!

I use an Apache redirect to do this. Since the Dashboard is just the site root plus /my/, it is easy to redirect. You can also use an .htaccess rule to do accomplish the same thing. I just redirect /my/ to the main page. This is the most reliable way since it can't be undone in Moodle. Of course, if affects all users including admins too.

If you don't have access to the server, it is harder to do since even if you force the Navigation > Default home page to Site, it does not remove the Dashboard option form the User pull down menu. I bet someone out there may have some css to set that to not display. Same for Breadcrumb. The only answer would be some very precise css or code it in the theme. I've never really tried to do that since I use the redirect method - it's user proof.

Randy
Average of ratings: Useful (1)