Bug: Moodle 3.72 (?) Admin booted out of course when deleting a topic - probably not necessary?

Bug: Moodle 3.72 (?) Admin booted out of course when deleting a topic - probably not necessary?

by Dom London -
Number of replies: 3

As the post says moodle 3.72 boots admins out of a course when you delete a topic

Not the end of the world - one can click back in - but why do it?

Also note the (incorrect message) topic doesnt exist - yes thats right NOW it doesnt exist so seems confusing to say it doesnt exist - better say" OK Ive deleted that topic" instead it reports something that is either not an error or not relevant any more - but either way confuses users.

Lastly moodle gives another error saying no docs on this error . Again I am still able to do what I need to but clearly messy code or something going on.

All the screen grabs are below - Good luck guys. Hope this was helpful

Attachment delete topic error.png
Attachment delete topic.png
Attachment deltete topic does not exist.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom London

Re: Bug: Moodle 3.72 (?) Admin booted out of course when deleting a topic - probably not necessary?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just tested deleting a topic in a tinker course of a 3.7.2 (Build: 20190909) of Moodle.  No issues/errors - not booted out of course as you've described.

I do see, however, in your 2nd screen shot, the topic you are trying to delete (Topic 14) has large orange text and no < thingy in front.  Topics above and below in your screen shot look 'normal' .... ie, no large orange text.   What theme are you using? and do you have any additional plugins installed?

If you have any more topics like that ... large orange text ... to delete, suggest turning on debugging first then attempt to delete ... see if Moodle will show something on your server.

One could also check web servers error log for hints/clues.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Bug: Moodle 3.72 (?) Admin booted out of course when deleting a topic - probably not necessary?

by Dom London -

Thanks Ken using a custom theme based on Boost. Im not sureI would ant to tamper with debugging if only becuase I very probablywouldnt understand all the code jargon if i did? (Also doesnt that mean all users eee these messages?)

Very Best

Dom

In reply to Dom London

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Purpose of debug is to find out what's wrong.  You might not understand the debug, but come back here and copy and paste the debug output for all to see.   Someone may spot the issue.   Otherwise, no Vulcan Mind Meld is possible ... with you ... or your server.

Could be that custom theme!

As far as displaying to all users ... if students in your Moodle are using and what they are doing causes no errors, they won't see.   They don't have the ability to delete sections in courses, do they?   Would think not.

Again ... no Vulcan Mind Meld is possible ... with you ... or your server.  Since I've tried doing same thing as you on another server ... same version .. and experienced no issues ... and since there aren't a bunch of users in here saying 'me too!  me too!' ... what can I say ...

Or ... don't turn on debugging ... let's never know ... and if it never raises it's ugly head again, good for you ... chaulk it to a fluke!  If it happens again, no debug, no me too's, then how do you expect 'volunteer assistance' (free I might add) to help?

'SoS', Ken